"Very practical" "solid, down-to-earth advice."
"Highly experienced, very measured and very capable."
Legal 500 2015
"A straightforward and pragmatic approach to problems"
Legal 500 2015
"Simon Thomas is a fully trained collaborative lawyer, and his client base is primarily comprised of high net worth individuals whom he advises on financial settlements."
Simon is Head of the Family team.
Simon has 25 years' experience in all areas of family law and specialises in the financial consequences of divorce and relationship breakdown. His expertise includes resolving issues concerning family businesses, financial provision for children, trust funds, pre-nuptial agreements, cohabitation matters, property portfolios, and pension provision. Simon's excellent reputation for finding solutions for wealthy individuals, including successful business people and entrepreneurs, attracts instructions both locally and nationally.
Simon is a trained Collaborative Lawyer (resolving issues following relationship breakdown without going to court), a trained mediator, a member of Resolution and a member of the Law Society Negligence Referral Panel.
- Advising the minority shareholder in divorce proceedings in an international yacht broking business based in Southern Europe.
- Acting for an unmarried parent where the assets consisted of a portfolio of rented properties held in a corporate entity and in a partnership.
- Advising a West Country farmer on the viability and enforceability of her pre-nuptial agreement following the marriage breakdown.
- Advising a peer of the realm in divorce proceedings where the family's entire wealth was derived from her husband's trust interest.
- Advising an EU resident based in Portugal on the financial provision for his children who were resident in the UK.
- Advising a City businesswoman in divorce proceedings where the majority of the family's assets were held in her husband's sole name.
- Advising an entrepreneur in divorce proceedings with a number of business interests held in different jurisdictions and in different vehicles.
- Advising a business owner on a post-nuptial agreement.
- Advising the parents of a husband in divorce proceedings, where the husband had borrowed significant sums of money from them during his marriage.