Miles is a Partner in the Agricultural team. He joined Michelmores in October 2012.
Miles' areas of expertise are contentious trust and probate disputes, including Inheritance Act claims, and agricultural property disputes.
He is an expert in land-based disputes and is a specialist in the area of Agricultural Holdings (1986 and 1995 Act).
Miles is a member of the Agricultural Law Association, the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS), and the Property Litigation Association.
- Acting for a tenant of a large dairy holding in pursuing a substantial claim for damages arising out of the Landlord's breach of covenant and misrepresentation.
- Acting for the proprietor of a fledgling flower growing business who was unlawfully locked out of the premises overnight by her landlord and lost all of her plant stock as a result.
- Advising the largest car boot operator in the UK on occupational rights.
- Advising the occupier of an agricultural holding on whether he has acquired additional rights, in particular to purchase the freehold, by the doctrine of Proprietary Estoppel.
- Acting for a large estate in recovering possession of part of a farm for redevelopment.
- Acting for a landowner in the Isle of Man in negotiating a surrender with the tenant of a 2,000 acre hill farm.
- Advising and representing a UK national resident overseas in securing his inheritance under his late mother's Will.
- Acting as a court appointed administrator in respect of an Estate when substantial sums were paid away and needed to be traced.
- Defending a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Defendants) Act 1975 brought against an estate valued at over £4m.
- Acting for an overseas client in respect of the proper construction of a Will in which he takes a beneficial interest.
- Pursuing Accounts and Enquiries concerning a portfolio of 34 properties purchased on a buy-to-let scheme.
- Acting for a successful claimant in a proprietary estoppel claim for whom there may be inheritance tax consequences.
- Advising a tenant of an agricultural holding on his rights under the Agriculture (Maintenance, Repair and Insurance of Fixed Equipment) Regulations 1973.
- Advising on an application to remove a trustee pursuant to s.50 of the Administration of Justice Act 1985.
- Seeking possession of an Agricultural Holding pursuant to a notice to court in which the occupier claims to have assigned the tenancy to a limited company.
- Thorne v Courtier  EWCA Civ 460 Court of Appeal – disputed compromise agreement; application of Part 36 CPR.
- Thorne v Courtier  EWCA Civ 104 Court of Appeal – destination of appeals.
- Jones v Jones  WTLR 1847 - testamentary capacity.
- Drew v Daniel  EWCA Civ;  All ER(D) 84 Court of Appeal - undue influence.
- Michael and 2 Others v Miller  ADRLR 03/22 Court of Appeal – mortgagee's duty to obtain best price reasonably obtainable on sale.
- Uglow v Uglow  EWCA Civ 987; 2004 WTLR 1183 Court of Appeal – proprietary estoppel. Assurance not irrevocable, no estoppel arose.
- Wormall v Wormall  EWCA Civ 1643 Court of Appeal – proprietary estoppel. Satisfying the equity.
- Ministry of Defence v Spencer  All ER(D) 318 Court of Appeal – alteration to boundaries of an agricultural holding does not trigger a new rent review cycle.
- McGowan and Gibbons v Jewell  3 EGLR 87 Court of Appeal – meaning of "agriculture only" user covenant.