"Excellent advice, which is of a consistently high standard and tailored to create practical solutions in an international setting."
Legal 500 2016
"Garbhan Shanks attracts praise for his ‘strong experience, and ability to anticipate and cut straight to the relevant issues'".
Legal 500 2015
"Garbhan Shanks has ‘outstanding professionalism and legal knowledge'".
Legal 500 2015
Garbhan is a Partner in the Commercial Disputes department.
He is Head of Insurance and Reinsurance and the International Arbitration Group. His extensive experience includes acting for and against high-net worth individuals, corporates, insurers and governments in the High Court, Court of Appeal and House of Lords and in numerous LCIA, ICC and ad hoc arbitrations.
Garbhan primarily acts for policyholders and their captives on insurance coverage issues in the financial services, pharmaceutical, energy, retail, manufacturing, construction, utilities and aviation sectors. He has advised on construction all-risks, product liability, professional indemnity, property, business interruption, D&O, employers' liability, corporate crime (1st and 3rd party) and cyber/privacy insurance cover. He also advises clients on their insurance programmes and policy wordings.
His practice additionally involves acting for (re)insurers in reinsurance coverage disputes.
Outside the field of insurance, Garbhan has acted in a variety of commercial disputes including professional negligence and mis-selling, civil fraud and defamation actions and has experience of complex procedural matters such as obtaining freezing orders and enforcing foreign judgments in the English courts. Garbhan has experience in litigating in numerous foreign jurisdictions with a focus on Africa, Russia, the US and Pakistan.
As well as speaking French, Garbhan has a diploma in French law and has supervised litigation in Francophile countries. He is a member of British Insurance Law Association, AIRMIC, IRLA, AIDA and the Chartered Insurance Institute.
He joined Michelmores in 2014 from Addleshaw Goddard.
- Successfully defended Aviva Canada Inc. in a reinsurance High Court claim by Minster Insurance Company, and continues to act for Aviva Canada in other reinsurance claims involving issues on the scope of follow settlement clauses and the recoverability of IBNR and Schemes of Arrangement under English law.
- Acted for a US power company in a property damage/business interruption coverage dispute for losses relating to a damaged gas turbine in the Middle East.
- Advised the Board of Directors of a UK PLC on its D&O liability cover.
- Advising an NHS Trust in its claim under the Third Party (Rights Against Insurers) Act 1930 against the PI insurers of an IT contractor.
- Basma Al Sulaiman v (1) Credit Suisse (2) Plurimi Capital LLP  EWHC 400 (Comm)
- Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance Co Ltd v Heraldglen Ltd and Another  EWHC 154 (Comm)
- Aeroflot v (1) Boris Berezovsky (2) Nikolay Glushkov  EWHC 3017 (Ch)). See Bloomberg report or article
- Wasa & AGF v Lexington Insurance Co  UKHL 40
- Debra Jane Samuel v (1) Swansea City & County Council (2) Europ Assistance Insurance Ltd (2008)
- Korea National Insurance Corporation v Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty AG  EWCA Civ 1066
- Midland Mainline Ltd. & Ors v Commercial Union Assurance Company Ltd. & Ors  EWHC 1771 (Comm) & WAGN Railway Ltd & Others v St Paul International Insurance Company