"Having dealt with Tom professionally for a number of years I have always been impressed with his proactive, can-do attitude. He is always willing to go the extra mile to get the job done, and get it done extremely well. His interpersonal skills and wealth of knowledge ensure that every challenge is met with a positive solution. He is an innovative problem solver with a great deal of experience in his field."
Caroline Thomas, Business Manager Crofty Multi Academy Trust
"Tom's help, support and advice has been excellent for our Trust."
Adrian Massey, Chief Executive Bridge Schools
Tom is a Senior Associate in the Education team.
Tom joined Michelmores in 2017 having practiced in the South West for a number of years. Tom has extensive experience in advising both individual schools and academy trusts, in particular on funding and commercial matters. Tom has significant experience in academy re-brokerages and transfers and has recently acted as the commercial lead in a number of very high profile projects. Tom has also managed numerous academy conversions including Maintained, Foundation, PFI, Church, PRU and Special Schools as well as dealing with a number of Free School projects.
Tom sits as a Trustee on the Board of a 10 school Academy Trust in Cornwall and through this he has developed a keen interest in governance and compliance.
Prior to embarking on his legal career, Tom served for a number years of years as a Commissioned Officer in the Royal Navy, primarily employed within the Submarine Service.
Outside of work Tom finds any opportunity to be out on the water either windsurfing, sailing or attempting to keep the peace between his small children on the family boat.
- An integral part of the team to successfully complete the transfer of Moundwood Academy (formerly known as Aspire Academy) to the Beckmead Trust.
- Instructed as the lead commercial lawyer by the interim board of a failing academy trust. Tom advised on the stabilisation of the trust and on the eventual re-brokerage of the member schools whilst under the spotlight of considerable media and parliamentary attention.
- Advising on the establishment of a trading subsidiary for a large Academy Trust with particular focus on ensuring its activities were consistent with both the Trust's Articles of Association and the Academies Financial Handbook. Tom worked closely with the Trust's accountants to ensure a smooth roll out of the company.
- Acting for the sponsor in relation to the conversion of a number of complex PFI schools.
- Advising an independent school in relation to an FCA investigation into the payment of fees.
- Serving as an associate member on the executive board of a South West based Phase Association.