"Excellent commercial understanding as well as legal strength and experience."
Legal 500 2017
"Excellent, attentive and pragmatic legal advice."
"Extensive experience in Africa."
Legal 500 2016
"A very strong Africa team."
Legal 500 2015
"Open, accessible, pragmatic and commercial."
Legal 500 2015
Joe specialises in international investment and financing transactions, particularly in emerging and frontier markets.
His work includes mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity funds (representing both limited and general partners, and also advising on downstream investment activity), corporate finance, and banking transactions. He has more than 20 years' experience representing leading international financial institutions, private equity and other funds, corporations and government agencies in a wide variety of complex cross border transactions in some of the most challenging emerging markets.
Before joining the London office, Joe was a partner at a leading international law firm in the City, and prior to that he was General Counsel at CDC (the UK Government's development finance institution in the emerging markets).
- Advising BRAC International, the world's largest NGO, on the sale of a majority equity stake in its Ugandan microfinance operation in order to facilitate its transformation in to a registered bank
- Advising Triodos Investment Management on its sale of a minority stake in ACLEDA Bank plc (the leading commercial bank in Cambodia) to ORIX Corporation, Japan
- Acting for the African Agriculture Fund in relation to an investment in Feronia Inc, a Canadian company, listed on the TSXV with major interests in Palm Oil business in the democratic republic of Congo.
- Acting for FMO, FinnFund and Norfund on a quasi-equity investment into Green Resources AS, a Norwegian forestry, carbon offset and renewable energy company operating in Mozambique, Tanzania and Uganda
- Advising two Triodos investment funds and the Bamboo Financial Inclusion Fund on their sale of a significant stake in a Mongolian banking group to several buyers, including Orix Corporation, Japan and IFC
- Advised African Agriculture Fund in a multi-$m investment for a controlling stake in Golden Lay Ltd, the largest egg producer in Zambia.