"Garbhan Shanks and Harriet Chopra form a wonderful double act in the insurance sector – technically superb with client-facing skills that are second to none."
Legal 500, 2019
"Quickly distils the key points no matter how complex the case"
Legal 500, 2018
"Excellent advice, which is of a consistently high standard and tailored to create practical solutions in an international setting."
Legal 500 2017
"Harriet Chopra is particularly strong in pharmaceutical sector disputes, which concern Bermuda Form and product liability coverage claims."
Legal 500, 2016
Harriet is a Senior Associate in the Commercial and Regulatory Disputes team.
She joined Michelmores in 2014 from a City firm and specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration with a particular focus on insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes.
In her insurance practice Harriet has represented major national and multinational policyholders in connection with policy coverage disputes. She has particular experience representing clients in the pharmaceutical and manufacturing sectors in product liability coverage claims, including under the Bermuda Form.
Harriet is a member of the British Insurance Law Association, the Insurance & Reinsurance Legacy Association and AIRMIC. Her work on damages for late payment of valid insurance claims has been published in the British Insurance Law Association Journal and she is recognised as a Next Generation Lawyer by Legal 500.
Harriet has experience of both ad hoc and institutional arbitration and has acted for clients in LCIA, SCC and ICC arbitrations in relation to disputes in the insurance, pharmaceutical, energy and media sectors. She has also represented clients in commercial disputes in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Acting for an international company in a series of multi-million dollar arbitrations against its Bermuda-based insurers relating to the scope of its product liability coverage for "mass tort" personal injury claims in the United States and worldwide.
- Advising a global company in relation to potential coverage under its Directors’ and Officers’ insurance program in connection with allegations of wrongful acts in foreign jurisdictions and potential breaches of the US FCPA and UK Bribery Act.
- Representing a Singapore based Oil and Gas Company in a London seated, ICC arbitration relating to its interest in a gas concession in Pakistan.
- Advising a UK company in relation to the availability of coverage under its D&O and fidelity insurance policies following an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority.
- Advising a medical-device manufacturer in relation to claims under its Bermuda Form product liability coverage for personal injury claims in the United States.
- Representing a captive reinsurance company in connection with insurance claims arising from the expropriation of a power plant in South America.
- Assisting a major transport and haulage company in the negotiation of complex commutation agreements and wordings.
- Advising the directors of a UK PLC on improvements to the company's D&O policy wording.