"Excellent advice, which is of a consistently high standard and tailored to create practical solutions in an international setting."
Legal 500 2016
"Harriet Chopra has ‘outstanding professionalism and legal knowledge’, and is 'very client-oriented, cutting straight to the relevant issues’"
Legal 500 2015
"The outstanding Harriet Chopra is a key figure."
Legal 500 2015
Harriet is an Associate in the London office.
She joined Michelmores in 2014 from a City firm and specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration with a particular focus on insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes.
In her insurance practice Harriet has represented major national and multinational policyholders in connection with policy coverage disputes arising under Bermuda Form and other policies, covering liabilities in the financial services, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing sectors. Harriet also advises policyholders and their captive insurance companies in the negotiation of commutation agreements and wordings.
Harriet has experience of both ad hoc and institutional arbitration and has acted for clients in LCIA and ICC arbitrations in relation to disputes in the insurance, pharmaceutical, energy and media sectors. She has also represented clients in commercial disputes in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
Harriet is a member of the British Insurance Law Association, the Insurance & Reinsurance Legacy Association and AIRMIC.
Harriet recently presented a paper on English insurance law at the June 2015 AIDA Europe Conference in Copenhagen and her work on damages for late payment of valid insurance claims has been published in the British Insurance Law Association Journal.
- Acting for an international company in a series of multi million dollar arbitrations against its Bermuda-based insurers relating to the scope of its product liability coverage for third party personal injury claims in the United States and worldwide.
- Advising a global company in relation to potential coverage under its Directors’ and Officers’ insurance program in connection with allegations of wrongful acts in foreign jurisdictions and potential breaches of the US FCPA and UK Bribery Act.
- Acting for a UK based print and media company in a London seated, LCIA arbitration concerning the terms of a complex commercial contract.
- Acting for a Singapore based oil and gas company in a London seated, ICC arbitration relating to its interest in a gas concession in Pakistan.
- Acting for a high net worth individual in Commercial Court and Court of Appeal actions regarding alleged fraudulent misrepresentations made during the sale of a private jet.