Brian is a Director of Tax at Michelmores, and is Head of the Corporate Tax and Share Scheme teams.
He has over 40 years' experience within the tax field, having originally trained with the Inland Revenue. The earlier part of his career was spent with Ernst & Young in London, and then latterly in Exeter, where he was part of the specialist transaction tax team, focusing on analysing the tax implications of corporate, commercial and property transactions and creating structures to improve or safeguard the tax position.
After leaving Ernst & Young, Brian headed up the tax department of a national law firm, preparing and negotiating the various tax-related documents required in relation to corporate transactions and continuing to structure transactions.
His skill lies in advising clients on the tax structure and tax implications inherent in corporate/commercial transactions, including the purchase and sale of shares and businesses, demergers, reconstructions, MBOs, MBIs, equity raising, and joint ventures.
Brian will also act as a conduit for advisors, assisting in project management and delivery if required. His background allows him to understand the language used by lawyers, accountants and corporate finance advisors and will liaise between the parties to ensure that all parties are moving to a common goal without misunderstanding.
Brian also advises on employee incentives, and in particular share scheme advice such as EMI, LTIP, SIP, Phantom and Growth share schemes etc.
- Advising Succession Group on a number of acquisitions including the acquisition of Prosperitas Solutions Ltd, Plan 4 Wealth Limited, De Montfort Financial Advisors and Clay Rogers Group Ltd
- Advising the shareholders of G L Hearn Ltd on a disposal of the company to Capita
- Advising on the MBO of E M Advisory Services Ltd
- Advising on the sale of M J Stevens Ltd to management
- Advising Haynes Publishing Group plc on the implementation of an executive share option scheme
- Advising Modern Water plc on the implementation of an EMI share scheme