"Great ability to clarify complex legal issues to the layperson, and to help us weigh up the consequences before we take the action."
"A highly effective communicator."
"Well connected and is patient and thorough in his approach."
Legal 500 2016
Antony is Head of Education at Michelmores LLP and leads the Education Team.
Antony specialises in state funded schools (maintained and academies), further education and higher education law with particular focus on academy structures and capital projects. Antony advises multi academy trusts, free school promoters, schools on conversion to academy status and FE colleges, as well as local authorities and education related service companies. Antony has extensive previous experience in commercial property, social housing and PFI projects.
Antony sits on the Liberal Democrat policy group that will write the Liberal Democrat's education policy for the next manifesto.
Antony's appointments and memberships include:
- Member of the Education Law Association
- Chair of Governors, Carwarden House Community Special School, Camberley, Surrey
- Trustee of the St Barnabas' Church of England Multi Academy Trust
- Trustee of Knowledge School Trust
Antony used to be lead singer in an indie pop band in an age before the internet so there is no point googling!
"Antony Power is honest about resources and fees; you always get the named lawyer and you get a realistic fee to do the work – he doesn't bid to win and then rack up fees once the job is in the bag – always excellent value for money." Lara Newman, Director, Cleanslate Ltd
- Advising Westminster Kingsway College on the joint commissioning with Camden London Borough Council of the Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities facility, including providing strategic advice on the contractual and corporate structure to be adopted
- Advising and structuring governance and corporate structures, bringing his direct experience of private sector organisations and the rigour and commercial robustness this offers to the structures being adopted
- Leading the team which advised two multi academy trusts on the transfer of academies from the E-ACT chain of schools. The process involved extensive due diligence to establish the liabilities of the academies before they transferred. We were proud to work with two Trusts that were willing to commit to using their considerable expertise and experience to improve schools in need of support
- Supporting the establishment by Truro & Penwith College of the Truro & Penwith Academy Trust including advising on the governance structure to be adopted and the delegation of authority to local governing bodies
- Providing advice and support to a number of schools and headteachers dealing with challenging parental issues including complaints, freedom of information requests, subject access requests, social media campaigns and the threat of litigation
- Appointed as the legal partner to the Cornwall Association of Primary Headteachers, supporting their Board and members
- Leading the Team advising the Ted Wragg Trust on the opening of a new all through school at Cranbrook, Exeter.