James is an Associate in the Corporate team. He specialises in international and domestic corporate transactional and advisory work.
He joined Michelmores from Stevens & Bolton LLP, and has experience acting for SMEs, large multinational companies, private equity funds, impact investors, DFIs and foundations across a range of sectors, including natural resources, energy, agriculture, finance, healthcare and technology.
James read Law with French at the University of Birmingham before completing his LPC at the College of Law, London.
Outside of work, James enjoys running, skiing and watching rugby.
Impact Investment in the Developing Markets
- Advising Global Medical Investments on the sale of Sweden Ghana Medical Centre, a provider of premium private cancer care treatment in Ghana
Advising Soros Economic Development Fund, the impact investment fund established by George Soros, on the sale of its majority stake in the Indian venture capital firm, Aspada, to LGT, the investment management company owned by the Princely House of Liechtenstein
- Advising BRAC International, the world's largest NGO, on the sale of a majority equity stake in its Ugandan microfinance operation in order to facilitate its transformation in to a registered bank
Acting for Arbaro Fund (a sustainable forestry fund) on its US$20 million investment into West African forestry company, Miro Forestry, to expand young plantations in Ghana and Sierra Leone
Advising an infrastructure developer on its project promotion and concession rights in respect of a major dam on the African continent (with a deal value of US$ several billion)
Acting for various impact investors (including AgDevCo) on a number of transactions in India, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Uganda, Kenya, Ghana and Mauritius
- Advising AHL Venture Partners and DOB Equity on their equity investment in Kenyan company, Crop Nutrition Laboratory Services Limited
- Advising the trustees of charity Bounce Back Foundation on its charity merger with Change, Grow, Live.
- Advising an AIM listed fintech company on the multi-million pound sale of its market leading voucher platform
- Advising a German listed IT company on its multi-million pound acquisition of a UK IT services provider
- Advising the management team of a large music education provider on its secondary buy-out to one of the UK's major private equity houses
- Advising representatives of one of the largest US hedge funds on its multi-million pound investment into a UK telematics software company
Capital Markets and Public M&A
- Acting on the on-market share buyback by United Carpets Group plc structured as a tender offer by N+1 Singer in connection with United Carpet's de-listing from AIM. Michelmores acted for N+1 Singer as principal under the tender offer and as nominated adviser.
- Acting on the £16 million AIM IPO of Vector Capital plc. Michelmores acted for Allenby Capital as nominated adviser and placing agent.
- Acting for Haynes Publishing Group PLC on its acquisition by Infopro Digital Group for a sum of £114.5m
- Advising on the reverse takeover by SAPO plc of Rural Broadband Solutions and re-admission to the AQSE Growth Market and acting for Hybridan LLP on the associated £2.5 million placing.
- Acting for Hybridan LLP on a secondary placing by AIM-quoted West African oil & gas investment company ADM Energy plc