James is an Associate in the Corporate team. He specialises in international and domestic corporate transactional and advisory work with a particular focus on equity and debt investments in the emerging markets.
He joined Michelmores from Stevens & Bolton LLP, and has experience acting for SMEs, large multinational companies, private equity funds, impact investors, DFIs and foundations across a range of sectors, including natural resources, energy, agriculture, finance, retail and technology.
James read Law with French at the University of Birmingham before completing his LPC at the College of Law, London.
Outside of work, James enjoys running, skiing and watching rugby.
- Advising BRAC International, the world's largest NGO, on the sale of a majority equity stake in its Ugandan microfinance operation in order to facilitate its transformation in to a registered bank
Acting for Arbaro Fund (a sustainable forestry fund) on its US$20 million investment into West African forestry company, Miro Forestry, to expand young plantations in Ghana and Sierra Leone
Advising an infrastructure developer on its project promotion and concession rights in respect of a major dam on the African continent (with a deal value of US$ several billion)
Acting for various impact investors (including AgDevCo) on a number of transactions in India, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Uganda, Kenya, Ghana and Mauritius
- Advising an AIM listed fintech company on the multi-million pound sale of its market leading voucher platform
- Advising a German listed IT company on its multi-million pound acquisition of a UK IT services provider
- Advising the management team of a large music education provider on its secondary buy-out to one of the UK's major private equity houses
- Advising representatives of one of the largest US hedge funds on its multi-million pound investment into a UK telematics software company