"Jennifer Ridgway has been outstanding. She is very responsive and hard-working and has extensive experience in trust and tax related work."
Legal 500 2020
"Jennifer Ridgway is knowledgeable, enthusiastic, highly able and great to work with."
Legal 500 2020
"She has been excellent, extremely responsive, extremely hard-working,… She is very good at delivering what she says she is going to deliver."
Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2019
"The best of communicators, making the complex simple"
Legal 500, 2018
"City standard advice"
Legal 500, 2015
Jennifer is a Partner in the Private Wealth team.
Jennifer joined Michelmores from a leading private client firm in London, where she trained and worked for 5 years.
Jennifer's clients are frequently international, although she also looks after a number of UK families and landed estates. She acts for individuals and their families in all aspects of structuring their private wealth, including advising in relation to succession issues and tax planning. For the families she looks after, Jennifer provides a holistic service, liaising with other advisers and involving other disciplines, such as agricultural work for landed estate clients and corporate aspects for business owners.
A significant part of Jennifer's practice is advising UK trustees and offshore corporate trustees in relation to their duties as trustees and providing UK tax advice. Jennifer also has particular experience in advising clients who are non-UK domiciled in relation to pre-arrival planning and pre-deemed domicile planning.
- Advising the Jersey trustees of a trust with UK resident beneficiaries, including providing advice as to the taxation of the UK resident beneficiaries and the likely availability of the "motive defence".
- Acting for the trustees of a significant landed estate on a day-to day basis and being the contact point for all legal enquiries in connection with the estate and the family involved.
- Advising a number of non-UK domiciled clients in relation to the statutory residence test and creating various trust structures prior to them becoming deemed domiciled in the UK for inheritance tax purposes.
- Providing separate representation and trust advice for a beneficiary of various family trusts in connection with the beneficiary's parents' divorce.
- Advising various trustees in connection with their French reporting and US FATCA obligations.