The Private Wealth sector comprises individuals, families, their personal and business interests and the banks, wealth management entities and other advisers that protect their key assets.
We offer a number of different legal specialities to the sector, ranging from traditional private client advice of the highest quality to commercial advice to new corporate entrants into the market on all aspects of their business.
Many of our clients in the sector, especially entrepreneurs and landowners, rely on us to advise on the legal and tax challenges of their business, real estate and personal matters in a coordinated way.
Our reputation and experience in the sector attracts financial institutions, partnerships and other advisers as clients who see us operating as a key player in the UK's private wealth sector and understanding its fast-changing regulatory and commercial environment.
We do not offer private wealth management services, allowing us to work with a variety of independent specialists who do.
We have specialist focus on four key areas:
- Wealth generators and Entrepreneurs
- Wealth managers and Institutions
- Advance decisions
- Michelmores shortlisted for Private Client Legal Team of the Year
- Michelmores shortlisted in Citywealth's 2017 Magic Circle Awards
- Michelmores announce new Partner and Senior Associate promotions
- Administration of Estates: Lifetime Gifts and Penalties
- theView - fifth edition
- Michelmores named one of eprivateclient Top Law Firms 2017
- Increase in probate fees – what will it mean for families?
- Mediation – what is it and why use it?
- Michelmores is awarded highest accreditation from STEP
- April 2017 changes for UK resident non-domiciled individuals
- Inheritance Tax
- Urgent warning about online tool for creating LPAs
- Michelmores Disputed Wills & Trusts - Lisa Benham
- Getting onto the housing ladder
- Statutory residence test update
- A warning note for trustees?
- Dealing with trustees' mistakes
- US/UK tax – the basics
- Trustees and Investments
- Former model wins £75m divorce battle
- US/UK Trusts - Case Study
- Brexit: Private Wealth sector
- Michelmores grows Disputed Wills and Trusts team
- Wife receives £300K 30 years after separation
- Consider your cross options
- Jonathan Riley presents at The Bahamas branch of STEP
- Dementia Awareness Week 2016
- Michelmores hosts first Collections event
- Private Client in eprivateclients' Top 25
- Finding solutions on separation and divorce - Part 2
- Elizabeth Stilwell joins Michelmores
- The Brexit factor
- Finding solutions on separation and divorce - Part 1
- Starting up a next generation start up?
- SDLT - Treatment of Trusts & Beneficiaries
- Family Will Trusts
- Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015
- Persons with significant control
- The dissenting voice
- Why use a Solicitors for the Elderly accredited lawyer?
- Family businesses – get your governance right!
- Jonathan Riley to speak at IBC legal conference
- Could you or a relative be missing out on non-means-tested state support?
- Multi-jurisdictional exposures to tax: the pitfalls
- 'Easier and simpler planning regulations to be welcomed' - Philip Wolfgang featured in the Western Morning News
- The Residence Nil Rate Band
- Corporate lawyer Emma Rudge joins Michelmores' Bristol Office
- Michelmores' Senior Partner speaks at STEP families in business conference
- Michelmores sponsors 'Sporting Legends Dinner'
- Crociani and others v Crociani and others
- Planning for incapacity in a cross-border context
- Michelmores joins the Exeter Dementia Action Alliance
- Life-changing decisions in the hands of strangers
- Michelmores shortlisted in two categories for the British Legal Awards
- UK Summer Budget 2015 - Domicile
- eprivateclient's Top 35 under 35 list
- Eeny meeny miny…
- £164,000 landmark ruling
- Deathbed gifts: new developments in the law
- Three Michelmores lawyers recognised in 2015 CityWealth Leaders List
- Michelmores shortlisted
- Charity ride takes Michelmores into Somerset
- Trusts and compensation for a vulnerable client
- Digital assets: advice for personal representatives
- Making light out of loss - Brian Garner is featured in Private Client Adviser
- Jennifer Ridgway reviews case law concerning divorce settlements and vulnerable clients in Private Client Adviser
- New addition to team
- Michelmores boosts its Chambers UK rankings for 2015
- Lucian Freud: disputed wills and secret trusts
- Be Aware - New Rules Apply to all Transfers of Commercial Property
- Tchenguiz -Imerman v Imerman (Rev 1)  EWHC 3627
- Are the Floodgates Open?
- Supreme Court's Decision: Increase in Legacy Disputes?
- International clients acquiring assets in the UK
- Can I minimise tax on rental income?
- Is private consumer finance going to bury the Green Deal?
- Victory for oil tycoon's ex-wife
- Piercing the corporate veil?
Get in touch
- Working with the owners of significant privately-owned family companies to ensure an effective succession to the control and capital value of the business.
- Advising family shareholders on a £500m plus asset disposal programme.
- Advising as to how best to structure the tax efficient receipt by a UK resident (US citizen) of capital distributions from an existing offshore structure.
- Nuptial arrangements to protect family assets both before and after a marriage.
- Advising non-domicilaries how best to structure assets before becoming UK resident.
- Providing on-going advice to more than 30 landed estates and also acting as trustees for a considerable number of these.
- Advising a leading EIS Fund on its investments
- Reputation management advice to high-profile listed plc director.
- Advising founder of a healthcare technology business on corporate sale to a US buyer
- Advising a private bank in respect of its standard documentation.
- Providing family constitution advice to a client with a £30m family business and a disparate successor generation.
- Our tax compliance team has worked with our tax planning lawyers to develop a comprehensive tax compliance and mitigation service.
- Advising the trustees of a group of eight family trusts that own significant City property interests and investment portfolios in their management and strategic planning of the family's wealth and related interests.
- Managing a £50m distribution of limited partnerships interests; negotiating warranties, indemnities and advice as to the conditions on assignment.
- Advising as to best practice for a Liechtenstein Foundation in view of the recent UK/Swiss tax agreement.