Public sector advice is core to Michelmores' strategy. We are the partner of choice for over 150 public sector clients across England and Wales, including Central Government departments, executive agencies, non-departmental public bodies and local authorities, police forces, education institutions, and health bodies.
We have an integrated cross-departmental approach to public sector work which acknowledges the range of issues faced by our clients and the fact these rarely occur in isolation. Michelmores' lawyers share learning and experience, keeping up-to-date with developments in the law as it affects national and local government, health, education and the emergency services, implementing continuous improvement and added-value programmes designed to inform and benefit our clients.
This expertise is complemented by a thorough understanding of the political and budgetary constraints facing the public sector, and the specific regulatory restrictions on individual bodies.
Our experience in working for the private sector, including for financial institutions and banks, means that we are ideally placed to advise public sector clients entering into public/private transactions.
Michelmores' Lawyers regularly work alongside our public sector clients' in-house legal advisers, and frequently offer the benefits of additional specialist support and partnering through long and short-term secondments.
Public Sector Frameworks
We are panel members of a range of key public sector frameworks which allow clients to access our specialist expertise at attractive rates. These include: APUC (Advanced Procurement for Universities & Colleges), Cornwall Council, Crescent Purchasing Consortium, London Boroughs Legal Alliance, LUPC (London Universities Purchasing Consortium), NHS Commercial Alliance, NHS Shared Business Services, Police National Legal Services Framework, Public Sector Legal Services Framework. Please contact us for more information.
- Michelmores Real Estate Soundbite: assets of community value
- Michelmores advises on £250M Mayor of London’s counter-terror hub transaction
- Not so local authorities – getting carried away?
- Councils to keep £26bn raised from business rates
- The Public Contracts Regulations 2015
- 'Best Value Clauses
- London Universities Purchasing Consortium
- DWF's procurement challenge
- Mock Employment Tribunal Success
- Legal Services Framework Appointment
- Modernisation of EU public procurement
- New Public Procurement Thresholds
- Cloud Computing, SMEs and the Public Sector
- Police Force: acting on the £multi-million disposal of a 19 hectare site to a residential developer.
- Police Force: legal, strategic and procurement advice on ICT contracts.
- NHS Trust: assisted with drafting all procurement documentation relating to £50m redevelopment programme, and with establishing appropriate selection criteria.
- Health Trusts (various): Tribunal hearings (whistleblowing), TUPE, organisational change management, major service outsourcing projects.
- Health body: advising in relation to an agreement to commercialise two IT-based work flow products.
- Local Authority: assisting with all aspects of the competitive dialogue procurement of a strategic materials recycling facility project.
- Local Authorities (Key London Authorities and South West): High-profile tribunal hearings (equal pay, whistleblowing, discrimination, victimisation, freedom of expression); contentious grievance issues and appeals; negotiating compromise agreements; union recognition issues; secondments; drafting contracts and policies; TUPE; outsourcing; Data Protection and Freedom of Information Act requests.
- Local Authorities: superfast broadband. Advising on £100m project and the £2.5bn roll out under the Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) national programme. On-going support as member of BDUK's core specialist advisory team, including FOIA requests.
- Local Authority: preparation of template contracts for purchasing goods and services and for framework arrangements.
- Local Authority: we currently have a Partner on secondment to provide cover for a senior legal team member.
- Government Department: Contract Manager for agreement under which Michelmores is sole provider for property and estates legal services.
- Universities UK member: procurement through the Competitive Dialogue procedure of a £100 million plus student residences project on a greenfield/farmyard site.
- Executive Agency: employment litigation. TUPE and procurement training. Advice on procurement of a supercomputer under competitive dialogue including negotiation with bidders on legal/commercial issues.
- Ombudsman: advising on all the employment law aspects of statutory transfer of staff and assets to new body.