Michelmores' Local Government Solicitors work actively with Local Government legal and project teams to enhance and supplement their in-house capacity, as well as undertaking matters which need to be completely outsourced.
We recognise the challenges and opportunities facing our Local Government clients in today's ever-changing political and financial environment. The expertise of our lawyers, together with our high-quality cost-effective service delivery, means that we are well placed to help our clients meet these challenges and maximise opportunities.
We tailor our service delivery to suit our clients' needs, resolving immediate issues and facilitating the development of longer-terms strategies through bespoke advice, knowledge transfer arrangements and secondments.
Michelmores is a panel member of the following frameworks which allow Local Government clients to access our specialist sector expertise at attractive rates: London Boroughs Legal Alliance, Lambeth Legal Services Solicitors Framework, Lawyers in Local Government: Southern Branch, Public Sector Legal Services Framework.
Get in touch
- Advising seven Local Authorities in relation to the selection of a superfast broadband supplier that has both the resources and technical ability to transform the telecoms infrastructure to achieve the Broadband Strategy, as bid into Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) and contract management post-award. This project is the largest investment and biggest project (in terms of value, geographic footprint and number of homes/business to be serviced) in the UK and under the BDUK's framework.
- Acting for a London Borough in the defence of multiple complex claims brought by an employee for unfair dismissal, discrimination and alleged detriment from flexible working and dependency leave entitlement.
- Advising on the Employment/TUPE implications of a large, multi-Borough outsourcing of its Managed Services functions to a private sector contractor. This included consideration of the difficulties faced by local authorities in retaining staff when dealing with a TUPE transfer that does not take place for a significant period of time after the contract has been finalised.
- Advising on a £14.5 million project for the construction and operation of a material recycling facility. This included advice in relation to procurement, employment, property and technical expertise on the inclusion of glass and consideration of TEED in light of a shifting Government approach to the provision of appropriate guidance.
- Advising a Council on a Compulsory Purchase Order for a business park. Our advice included managing the expectations of the energy company, supporting the order, managing the enquiry process and the production of evidence in conjunction with Counsel, and attending the enquiry itself. The order has recently been confirmed by the Secretary of State.
- Advice to a city Council on the sale and redevelopment of a listed building in Council use. Advice was required on procurement, planning and environmental matters as well as the core property aspects of the transaction.
- Acting for Dorset County Council as the Accountable Body in relation to allocation and securing of Growing Place Fund monies to a number of key projects, including developments at Osprey Quay, Portland, Boscombe and Poole.