Ben Sharples MRICS FAAV
"He knows how things work on the ground and understands the practical and legal sides of farming. He's diligent and thoughtful, and has this extra dimension of insight into the technical side. He's very likeable, too."
"Knowledgeable, intelligent and tactically astute’ 'an excellent grasp of the law as well as the technical aspects of agriculture and property."
Legal 500 2017
"He's got very good client skills, and litigation with him is made very easy. He's a sheer joy to work with, and he makes sure that things get done."
"Understands the commercial realities of agricultural practice."
Legal 500 2016
"His grasp of the issues involved, not just the legal ones, is appreciated. He is very quick and comprehensive."
Ben Sharples is a Partner in the Agricultural team. He joined Michelmores in October 2012.
Ben is dual-qualified (MRICS FAAV), having practised as a rural Chartered Surveyor and Valuer for five years before becoming a Solicitor.
Ben advises on a broad range of contentious agricultural matters, including Landlord and Tenant disputes of both agricultural and residential property. He also advises farming businesses in relation to partnership disputes, rights of ways, agricultural subsidies, professional negligence and contractual disputes relating to the agricultural sector.
Ben is a contributor to the 10th Edition of Scammell, Densham and Williams's Law of Agricultural Holdings. He is a Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and a Fellow of the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers, where he regularly lectures at both. He also sits on the Property Committee of the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers.
Ben was awarded his Higher Rights (Civil Advocacy) Qualification in 2010.
- Gladman Development v Sutton (2016) High Court - contract dispute regarding an alleged promotion agreement for development of agricultural land
- Woodhouse v Besent 
- Wood v Waddington  EWHC 1358 (Ch) Rights of Entry.
- Davies v Davies  EWCA Civ 568 Estoppel.
- Zieleniewski v Scheyd & Pryor  EWCA Civ 247 Easements interference with right of way for agricultural purposes, Court of Appeal.
- Dyer v Potter  EWCA Civ 1417 Notices to quit, Court of Appeal.
- Lifely v Lifely  EWCA CIV 904 Farming partnerships, Court of Appeal.