"He is excellent at explaining complex contractual terms in an accessible way, and at ensuring that senior stakeholders have the best information to hand in their decision-making."
Chambers and Partners 2020
"Tom Torkar is technically great and very responsive."
Legal 500 2020
"Tom Torkar is simply superb."
Legal 500 2020
"Tom Torkar is a fantastic all-round commercial lawyer. Fast-working and uncompromising, with the tenacity to secure the best interests of the client whilst not losing sight of the commercial drivers"
Legal 500 2020
"is a pleasure to work with and has the ability to explain complex contractual law in a clear and concise way."
Tom is praised for his 'range of expertise, responsiveness and standard of work'.
Tom is Partner and head of the Commercial team. He also leads the cross-practice Technology & Innovation group.
Tom joined Michelmores from a leading technology firm, where he trained and worked.
He is experienced in advising clients in the IT, media, data, e-commerce and financial services sectors, ranging from large corporations to small and medium enterprises.
Tom has expertise in drafting and negotiating agreements with a technology component whether they are major projects, product launches or day to day arrangements, including outsourcing, software and systems licensing and development agreements.
His work extends to providing legal and strategic advice on the commercial arrangements for managing, using and protecting intellectual property, including agreements dealing with the creation, exploitation and distribution of content, including via television and the internet. His work covers national and international arrangements and agreements.
Tom's broad range of clients require his advice on regulatory and consumer compliance issues including e-commerce and distance selling issues, data protection, consumer terms and conditions and financial services regulation.
Tom is recognised in Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners.
Tom is also a Guest Lecturer at the University of Exeter (MA Creativity: Innovation and Business Strategy).
- Advising Landmark Information Group and Searchflow (part of the Daily Mail Group) on a full range of commercial agreements, service launches and regulatory compliance.
- Advising a leading online betting and gaming client on IT agreements, games development and advertising.
- Advising Agilisys Limited on its successful tender to for the provision of ICT managed services and transformation services to the City of London Corporation.
- Advising leading wireless networking equipment manufacturer Cambium Networks (based in the UK and Illinois, US) in relation to various agreements required for the establishment of the new business following the sale by Motorola Solutions of its Wireless Broadband Solutions business to Vector Capital.
- Advising various national police forces on the procurement of operationally critical information technology.
- Advising Limitless Technology on the launch and role out of a "crowd-sourced" customer service solution that connects major consumer product and service brands with their fans and brand ambassadors and harness that knowledge to provide customer service to consumers.