Landlord and Tenant
Our agricultural landlord and tenant solicitors expertise are unrivalled. We are nationally renowned as leaders in our field.
We advise on all agricultural tenancy issues relating to the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986, the Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995 and residential landlord and tenancy issues arising from farm cottages. Our practice includes drafting tenancy documents, surrenders and notices and also extends to contentious matters such as succession applications, rent reviews, repairs, entitlements and the enforceability of covenants.
We specialise in agricultural arbitrations, expert determination and applications to the First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) and, in Wales, the Agricultural Land Tribunal.
We advise on:
- Rent review;
- Bringing tenancies to an end including surrender;
- Enforceability of covenants;
- Issues concerning the ownership and transfer of entitlements;
- Reservation of sporting rights;
- Agricultural arbitrations;
- First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) Agricultural Land and Drainage applications;
- Drafting Farm Business Tenancies and succession tenancies;
- Drafting Deeds of Assignment, Surrender and other tenancy documents; and
- Farm Cottages
- Government update "How To Rent" guide
- Rent Act 1977 Tenancies
- Right to Rent Checks are Moving Online
- Charlotte Razay named Litigator of the Year
- COVID-19 - latest pandemic tips for business landlords
- Corporate Insolvency Regime
- Preventing Airbnb type sub-lettings
- Section 21: No gas safety certificate…no fault?
- Coronavirus and business tenancies - landlords' rent collection options restricted further
- Coronavirus Business Legal Hour - 09.04.20
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) - further questions on residential eviction proceedings
- Coronavirus Business Legal Hour - 07.04.20
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) - effect on rural businesses
- Coronavirus - lease management for business landlords
- Coronavirus – effects on business landlords and tenants – 'fake news'
- Coronavirus update - insurance implications of unoccupied premises
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and eviction proceedings
- Coronavirus - forced to abandon shop?
- Coronavirus and rent - options for rural business landlords
- Coronavirus and rent – tips for business landlords
- Coronavirus and rent – tips for business tenants
- Residential tenancies: AST rules round-up
- The Agriculture Bill: A hasty revamp of the last one or real progress?
- Development: Pitfalls of agricultural tenancies
- The Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) Regulations
- Rural dwellings: A residential revolution
- Farm cottages: Finding a way through the statutory maze
- Tenancy Notices: the risks of a Royal Mail delivery one year on
- Residential tenancies: extended paperwork trap set to ensnare landlords
- Farm business tenancies: Give us a break... but can you?
- Learning the Law: Stamp Duty Land Tax on farm business tenancies
- Residential Tenancies: how strict are statute-prescribed time limits?
- Farm Business Tenancies: Beyond the short term
- Get clued up on farm tenancies and licenses
- Agricultural Tenancies: Addressing a change of address
- Registered land titles when the course of a river changes
- Residential lettings: March of the regulations
Get in touch
- Acting on agricultural arbitrations arising from the service of notices under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 by the landlord seeking to resume possession of the holding for non agricultural use;
- Advising in relation to the service of notices on a tenant of an Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 tenancy for breaches of covenant;
- Advising a landowner in relation to the forfeiture of a long term farm business tenancy in the context of animal cruelty by the tenant;
- Downs v Kingsbridge Pension Fund Trustees  (First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)) – succession to an Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 tenancy;
- Davies v AHP Land Limited  (High Court) – appeal against an arbitrator's award in respect of an Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 tenancy;
- Compton Beauchamp Estates Limited v Spence  EWHC 1101 (Ch) – challenging an arbitrator's reasoning for an award under the Arbitration Act 1996.