You learn as you earn.
Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeships
Qualify as a solicitor within 3 years while developing your professional and personal skills through hands on learning.
Overview of our Apprenticeship Programme
Our Apprenticeship offers you an alternative route to qualification with the added benefit of studying whilst you develop your career. Here’s how long it will take you to qualify:
- 2.5 years if you completed a law degree within the last 3 years
- 3 years if you completed a non-law degree
Completing the Apprenticeship takes the same amount of time as completing the more traditional route of doing the GDL (if applicable), SQE and then the 2 years Qualifying Work Experience. Our structured programme will ensure you receive the same quality of training and supervision as our renowned traditional Training Contract route.
For 4 days a week you'll work in a team under the supervision of an experienced qualified solicitor and then you'll have 1 day a week to complete your qualification.
Much like our Training Contract, you will rotate around teams within the Firm and spend at least 6 months with them working in a Trainee role. This will provide you with the breadth and depth of knowledge to help you become a successful qualified solicitor.
How is the Apprenticeship different to the Training Contract route?
Unlike our Training Contract, with the Apprenticeship, you will specialise into one of our Practice Areas from the beginning and will qualify into this area.
During the recruitment process you will let us know if you are interested in completing your Apprenticeship in Private Wealth, Litigation or Real Estate. Your seats will be within those areas, and you will then qualify into the Practice area you have chosen.
The seats you complete will help you to gain the necessary knowledge, skills and competencies to be a very successful Private Wealth, Real Estate or Litigation solicitor.
Why choose the Apprenticeship Route instead of the Training Contract/Qualifying Work Experience route?
This route is perfect for candidates who have a University Degree / Level 6 CiLex and know the area of law you want to qualify into. Other benefits of this route are:
- Gain professional, practical experience earlier on in your career
- Work alongside experienced employees, many of which are leaders in their field.
- Develop your whole skill set, not just your technical knowledge
- Obtain a qualification whilst you are employed
- Earn as you learn – you will start on the Real Living Wage, with incremental increases as you gain experience
Essential criteria to apply:
You need to have achieved a UK bachelor's degree in any subject at 2:2 or above, Level 6 CiLex or equivalent. You must also have GCSE English and Maths at Level C or above.
You have to be able to start the Apprenticeship in February 2023.
If you are working that will mean you need a 1 month notice period or be able to negotiate a shorter notice period.
If you have the LPC you are unable to apply to apply for our Apprenticeship but can apply for the Training Contract.
What makes us different?
- Responsibility from day one – you will manage your own files and build client relationships
- You'll work closely with senior partners
- Ability to make a difference and be part of our growth journey
- Tailored investment in your development and progression
- Our one firm approach - no matter which office you are in, we all collaborate, support each other and work together to continue our success.
- Responsible business opportunities including diversity and inclusion, ESG, MainStream, careers fairs plus much more.
Where will I study and what will I achieve?
You will study at the University of Law; the majority of this course will take place online so you can complete the modules in a time to suit you. Before each SQE exam The University of Law will run a 'week bootcamp' to support you to pass the SQE module.
We will agree with you the 1 day a week which you will complete your studies in so that it is the same every week.
By the end of the Apprenticeship you will have completed the GDL qualification (if applicable) and the SQE qualification to then qualify as a solicitor.
Where will I be based?
Our positions will be split across Exeter and Bristol. We will confirm this to you during the application process and take your preference into consideration.
Recruitment Process and Key dates:
- Our applications open in October 2022 and close on 14th November 2022
- Video Interview w/c 21st November 2022
- Pre-Assessment Centre Interview w/c 5th December 2022
- Assessment Centre w/c 12th December 2022
- Offers made w/c 19th December 2022
- Commence Apprenticeship February 2023
Will I be paid?
Yes you will be paid at least the Real Living Wage for the duration of your Apprenticeship and it will fall in line with our Trainees salary.
What financial support will I have?
We will sponsor you to complete the SQE and we will also pay you a salary whilst you work and study
How can I find out more?
We will be running an Apprenticeship Insight Session on 3rd November 4:30pm-5:30pm where you can come along, find out more and answer any questions that you have. If you are interested in attending please contact us.
We will also run a Training at Michelmores session on 8th November 4:00pm-5:00pm with some of our Trainees where you can find out what it is like to train at Michelmores before qualification. Our trainees will share their experiences with you in terms of the support they receive, the work they complete and the responsibility they are given. If you are interested in attending please contact us.