"He is a pragmatic lawyer who is good at cutting to the chase."
Chambers UK 2022
"A fantastically practical lawyer who drives deals to completion and is a proactive, clear and open communicator."
Chambers and Partners 2021
"I enjoyed working alongside him. He is very good and very efficient."
Chambers and Partners 2020
"He's efficient and knows the law very well."
"excellent attention to detail"
"Really leads from the front."
Legal 500 2017
Stephen is a Partner in the Real Estate team based in Exeter. He is ranked in Chambers and Partners and recognised as a notable practitioner. He joined Michelmores from the Real Estate division of City firm Herbert Smith Freehills LLP.
Stephen has extensive experience in investment, development and asset management of commercial real estate. He has particular expertise in high-end landlord and tenant work, acting for institutional investors, leading property companies and investment funds in the UK.
He also acts for corporate occupier clients, primarily on the relocation of headquarters or acquisition of additional space. Stephen acts for property developers both in the SW and further afield on forward funding, forward purchase and development agreements.
Stephen also leads the Real Estate Energy team providing real estate support across a range of asset types (EV, solar, wind, battery storage etc.) to significant energy investment funds and managers. Stephen and his team work closely with our commercial team and have developed an innovative pricing mechanism with a menu of due diligence services to allow clients to tailor the Energy due diligence work we undertake to their needs.
- Commercial Development - acting for property division of sustainable-focused client Oxygen House in connection with the pre-letting aspects of the new watersports centre at Exmouth seafront on Queen's Drive known as Sideshore. Sideshore is a not-for-profit development built from sustainable materials and combining renewable energy technologies.
- Asset Management - acting for Ashby Capital in the asset management of The Colmore Building, Birmingham.
- Energy – establishing a framework arrangement for a significant rooftop solar company for large portfolio acquisitions and prospective developments. Leading on the property aspects of a number of corporate acquisitions of substantial rooftop solar portfolios.
- Dealing with all property aspects of IQVIA's acquisition of new London headquarters at The Point, Paddington. Our team's substantial experience in corporate relocation in London and elsewhere ensured that we were able to give the client focused and lateral commercial advice to achieve their operational requirements.
- Acting for South West developer Eagle One in relation to various pre-letting agreements for new car dealerships within a new phase of Matford Green Exeter, the largest car dealership space in Europe.