"She is incredibly good at getting deals over the line."
Chambers and Partners 2020
"Fantastically commercial and incredibly pragmatic"
Chambers and Partners 2020
"She gets deals done and takes a pragmatic overview while identifying the salient and important legal issues."
"delightful to work with, very pleasant and very able"
"Lucy is able to bring both sides of a transaction together to work together for the common good."
"She's very pleasant and understands her clients well"
"Very sure-footed and pleasant to deal with."
"Lucy is extremely helpful, efficient and thorough in her advice."
Joseph Merchant, Context Logic
Lucy is Head of the Residential Development team.
Lucy is a highly-experienced commercial property lawyer and acts for a number of significant house builders, developers and land owners in the South West.
She has particular expertise in acquiring and disposing of land for residential development, including contracts conditional on planning, option agreements, and a range of joint venture and collaboration agreements and overage arrangements. In addition, Lucy is adept at setting up freehold and leasehold residential development schemes.
Strategic land is a key area of Lucy's practice, and she is experienced in dealing with the wide range of complex legal structures and issues that enable the delivery of strategic land to development stage, including promotion agreements and landowner agreements, ransom issues and overage.
In addition, Lucy has worked on a wide range of residential development schemes across the South West including retirement housing schemes, affordable housing, mixed use development and student accommodation.
Lucy is also a long-standing advisor to the Dioceses of Exeter and Truro in ecclesiastical property matters.
- Acting for BDW Trading Ltd (Barratt Homes) in their acquisition of land at Rydon Lane, Exeter for a price in excess of £10M. The client was able to acquire the site in the face of competition from other house builders, and was delighted with the combination of our expertise and pragmatic approach which enabled us to deliver an exceptionally complex acquisition under the pressure of a very short timescale.
- Acting for the landowners of a multi-owned 90 acre site near Exeter in a promotion agreement and landowners agreement. The transaction was delivered within a timescale which enabled the promoter to take advantage of a specific window of opportunity in the planning process, and we were praised for our ability to coordinate the numerous stakeholders involved and their external legal, tax and other advisors.
- Acting for the Woodard Corporation in the disposal of the former site of St Margaret's School in Exeter for residential development. This was a high profile, high value disposal. Our expertise in this area and our close working relationship with the client's commercial advisors helped the client achieve a swift disposal on optimum terms.
- Acting for Persimmon Homes in their acquisition of a consented site at Lufton in Yeovil with planning permission for 620 dwellings. The transaction was dealt with in a short timescale and the expertise of our planning team was key to this acquisition, given the complex planning background.
- Acting for Persimmon Homes in their acquisition from multiple landowners of land at Forder Valley in Plymouth, with planning permission for up to 873 dwellings. This was a complex acquisition benefitting from the expertise of our planning team, and the coordination of multiple landowners and their advisors.