"Jonathan Kitchin has a very sound legal mind and is very approachable"
Legal 500 2020
"Jonathan Kitchin is very astute, pragmatic and a measured commercial adviser, relied upon as very much an external extension of our Group Legal Resource"
Legal 500 2020
"A calm and balanced operator".
Legal 500 2017
"Praised by clients for his timely, strategic advice, detailed feedback and sensible decision-making."
Chambers and Partners 2013
Jonathan is Head of the Commercial & Regulatory Disputes team.
He qualified as a solicitor in 2005 and advises on commercial conflicts or crises including breach of contract, professional negligence, boardroom or shareholder disputes and emergency injunctions. He has experience of managing the resolution of disputes via mediation, High Court litigation and international arbitration.
He has particular expertise in the financial services sector - providing counsel to retail or institutional investors and wealth management firms regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). His work extends to past business reviews, allegations of mis-selling, employee misconduct, breaches of fiduciary duty, supervisory enquiries or enforcement action by the FCA, the Financial Ombudsman Scheme, the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and insurance coverage issues.
Jonathan is also keen to bring sustainability to the fore in business, realising the positive social and environmental impact that the professional services sector can have in their communities or on their clients.
Commercial & International
- Advising the trustees of a landed estate in relation to the set aside or rectification of a negligently prepared trust deed and the recovery of damages by way of additional professional costs and tax liabilities.
- Securing control of a US holding company by way of interim injunctive relief to prevent the UK domiciled directors of the US company from dealing with its shares, or the shares of its UK subsidiaries, before obtaining summary judgment ordering specific performance of a share transfer agreement.
- Conducting an international arbitration in Dubai under the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC) rules including the defence of an application to nullify an award in our client's favour and successful ratification of that award in the Dubai Courts of First Instance and Appeal.
- Enforcing a Judgment from the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) against property in London in the context of ongoing proceedings in both Dubai and Jersey.
- Representing a London based boutique fund management company in relation to the transfer of FCA registered retail funds and recovery of management fees.
- Acting for alternative investment funds in relation to breaches of duty by those acting in a fiduciary or trustee capacity including their removal, obtaining an account of trust property and pursuing professional advisers or individuals responsible for lost capital and returns.
- Advising financial planning and investment management firms in relation to employee misconduct, team moves, acquisition disputes relating to earn-outs, valuations and warranty or indemnity claims, professional indemnity insurance coverage, FCA enquiries and investigations in relation to the classification of retail and professional investors, managing conflicts of interest, inducement and remuneration rules and activities relating to the closure or transfer out of final salary pension schemes.
- Advising private investors and SMEs on disputes relating to structured or leveraged investments, tax schemes and interest rate hedging products.
- Advising an e-commerce platform for the sale of technology products on compliance with the FCA's consumer credit and insurance mediation regimes in the UK and across various EU jurisdictions (in conjunction with local partner firms).