"A calm and balanced operator".
Legal 500 2017
"Praised by clients for his timely, strategic advice, detailed feedback and sensible decision-making."
Chambers and Partners 2013
Jonathan is a partner in the Commercial & Regulatory Disputes team.
He has over 12 years' of experience advising on contractual claims, director or shareholder disputes, obtaining emergency injunctive relief and professional negligence. His commercial work extends to mediation, High Court proceedings and international arbitration.
He has a particular emphasis on financial services - providing counsel to investors, funds and wealth management firms regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). He has advised on past business reviews, allegations of mis-selling, breaches of fiduciary duty and employee misconduct. His work often interacts with professional indemnity insurance cover, compliance with the FCA Handbook, the Financial Ombudsman Scheme or the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Jonathan is also keen to bring sustainability to the fore in business, realising the positive social and environmental impact that the professional services sector can have in their communities and regions.
Commercial & International
- Advising the trustees of a landed estate in relation to the set aside or rectification of a negligently prepared trust deed and the recovery of damages by way of additional professional costs and tax liabilities.
- Securing control of a US holding company by way of interim injunctive relief to prevent the UK domiciled directors of the US company from dealing with its shares, or the shares of its UK subsidiaries, before obtaining summary judgment ordering specific performance of a share transfer agreement.
- Conducting an international arbitration in Dubai under the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC) rules including the defence of an application to nullify an award in our client's favour and successful ratification of that award in the Dubai Courts of First Instance and Appeal.
- Enforcing a Judgment from the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) against property in London in the context of ongoing proceedings in both Dubai and Jersey.
- Representing a London based boutique fund management company in relation to the transfer of FCA registered retail funds and recovery of management fees.
- Acting for alternative investment funds in relation to breaches of duty by those acting in a fiduciary or trustee capacity including their removal, obtaining an account of trust property and pursuing professional advisers or individuals responsible for lost capital and returns.
- Advising national financial advisory firms in relation to team moves, post-acquisition disputes, past business reviews, PI coverage, FCA investigation in relation to conflicts of interests and compliance with inducement and remuneration rules.
- Advising private investors and SMEs on disputes relating to structured or leveraged investments, tax schemes and interest rate hedging products.
- Advising an e-commerce platform for the sale of technology products on compliance with the FCA's consumer credit and insurance mediation regimes in the UK and across various EU jurisdictions (in conjunction with local partner firms).