"[Phillip] is a household name" in this area.

Chambers High Net Worth 2022

"Barth is knowledgeable, precise and efficient [and] He is very attentive."

Chambers High Net Worth 2022

“Phillip Barth impresses me greatly with their knowledge of immigration and involvement in the space.”

Chambers High Net Worth 2023

Expert legal advice for immigration

In a fast-changing landscape where complex immigration rules are under constant scrutiny and change, businesses, families and individuals need timely and specialist immigration guidance to plan their lives and protect their businesses.

At Michelmores, we thrive on providing tailored immigration advice, whatever your circumstances and needs. Whether you’re a foreign business establishing operations in the UK or an individual looking for advice on visa applications and renewals or settlement, our dedicated lawyers offer tailored and in-depth support when it’s needed most.

Our team provides specialist guidance to clients needing to sponsor workers from overseas supporting them to secure and maintain sponsor licences, understand potential changes to regulations and helping them plan for future growth and visa renewals.

We also offer guidance to individuals on a range of matters. From travelling to or settling in the UK to securing British citizenship, we understand the challenges and the need for up-to-date, concise and timely guidance.

Planning for a secure future

Immigration law is subject to never-ending political tinkering and public pressure. It therefore changes quickly and often with little or, indeed, no notice. Our team of immigration lawyers is therefore acutely aware that staying ahead of these changes is essential to helping clients meet their strategic business ambitions and personal goals.

Philip Barth, Head of the Immigration team is names as a Top Recommended Lawyer for Immigration in the Spears 500 list 2022.

Immigration services for businesses and employers

Sponsor licence guidance

Employers will need to apply for a sponsor licence if they wish to support a migrant’s application for a visa to come to work for them in the UK. The application will be subject to payment of official fees and the provision of supporting documents.

Sponsor licence compliance

In order to obtain and maintain a sponsor licence, employers need to comply with detailed and technical sponsor obligations set by the UK government. We can advise on the necessary systems and protocols that you will need to put in place to comply with these obligations. We also offer Sponsor Management System support as Level 1 Users and advice on right to work checks and illegal working.

What are the different types of visa?

Employers can sponsor a migrant applying for:

  1. Worker visas, which include skilled worker, Senior or Specialist workers (Global Business Mobility (GBM)), minister of religion and sportsperson visas; and
  2. Temporary Worker visas, which include visas for creative/sporting workers, charity workers, religious workers, government authorised exchange workers, international agreement workers, UK expansion and seasonal workers.

Our immigration experts will be able to advise you on the best visa and thus the best sponsor licence for your business’s needs and circumstances.

How long does a sponsor licence last?

A sponsor licence will last 4 years and will need to be renewed if you wish to continue sponsoring migrant workers. Our immigration team can provide specialist advice and support in relation to the sponsor licence renewal application process.

Immigration services for individuals

I wish to travel to the UK

Our experts can advise you on the most appropriate visa to fit your needs, whether you plan to stay in the UK for just a few days or whether you plan to start a new chapter of your life here.

New immigration rules apply to EEA citizens now that the UK has left the European Union. Our immigration lawyers can help you navigate the EU Settlement Scheme and the new UK Points Based Immigration System.

What visa should I apply for?

What visa you apply for depends on how long you want to stay in the UK, what you want to do once you are in the UK and whether you intend to travel alone or with family:

  1. Short-term visas, including (but not limited to): Transit, Standard Visitor, Marriage Visitor, Temporary Worker, Permitted Paid Engagement, Parent of a Child Student, Family Permit, Seasonal Worker, Government Authorised Exchange, Creative Worker, Religious Worker, International Agreement, and Domestic Worker; and
  2. Longer-term visas, including (but not limited to): Skilled Worker, Senior or Specialist Worker (GBM), Graduate Trainee (GBM), Secondment Worker (GBM), Service Supplier (GBM), UK Expansion (GBM), Graduate, Youth Mobility, Innovator, Start-up, Global Talent, High Potential Individual, Scale-up Worker, Health and Care Worker, Minister of Religion, Sportsperson, British National (Overseas), UK Ancestry, Frontier Worker and Representative of an Overseas Business.

Our specialist immigration team will help you determine what visa suits you and your circumstances best and will guide and support you through the entire application process, beginning to end.

I wish to settle in the UK

Our experts can guide you through the application process should you wish to apply for settlement in the UK (Indefinite Leave to Remain), or British citizenship. We also advise on UK passport applications.

For information on our approach to pricing for Immigration services (excluding asylum), please click here.

Recent experience

Securing a Skilled Worker sponsor licence for a Multi Academy Trust operating a variety of specialist education services at diverse locations

Successfully securing an extension, by way of an entry clearance application, of a Tier 1 (investor) visa for a client stuck in Brazil due to travel restrictions under the Coronavirus pandemic

Successfully advising the French finance director of an international Learning & Development group on one of the first applications for a Frontier Worker permit

Advising a French company in the pharmaceutical sector in relation to its application for a sponsor licence under the Global Business Mobility – UK Expansion route

Obtaining pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme for a Scandinavian businessman despite his significant absences outside the UK due to travel restrictions under the Coronavirus pandemic

Philip Barth
Philip Barth
Lynsey Blyth
Lynsey Blyth
Siobhan Murphy
Siobhan Murphy
Carey Xu
Carey Xu
Nicole Hambleton
Nicole Hambleton
James Millet
James Millet