Our personal tax solicitors at Michelmores offer a comprehensive range of personal tax compliance and advisory services. We pride ourselves on providing a bespoke service which puts the client and their family first, despite the ever-changing landscape of tax legislation.
We act for a variety of clients including farming and land-owning families, landed estates, trusts, individuals with property portfolios, business owners, high net worth individuals; individuals who are tax resident in other jurisdictions or tax resident in the UK but with international estates, entrepreneurs and partners. Uniquely based within a law firm, we are ideally placed to work alongside and draw on expertise from lawyers when dealing with transactions, complex tax queries, tax advice and tax-efficient succession planning to ensure an efficient and seamless experience for our clients.
- Bespoke Tax Return compliance service for individuals, trusts and estates, including timely reminders for due dates, providing a responsive, proactive service tailored to the client's needs and liaising with HM Revenue & Customs on the client's behalf.
- Dealing with complex tax enquiries and investigations.
- Reporting foreign income and distributions from offshore trusts.
- Reporting historic tax liabilities to HMRC and dealing with all connected correspondence and negotiations.
- Preparation of rental or business accounts and advising on tax-deductible expenditure.
- Various other tax compliance work such as completing HMRC forms for holdover relief, completing Form 17 etc.
Tax advisory work including, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Income tax and capital gains tax planning, including advice in connection with principal private residence relief, entrepreneurs relief, EIS schemes etc.
- Working with land-owners to maximise returns from development land.
- Advising on tax implications of partnerships, family limited companies and trust structures to facilitate effective succession planning.
- Maximisation of tax reliefs and utilisation of losses.
- Advice in connection with tax-efficient structuring for Private Equity Funds and dealing with carried interest.
- Ensuring tax efficiency for international clients with multi-jurisdictional personal estates, taking into consideration residency tests and the interaction of tax treaties.
- Tax planning in relation to domicile issues.
- Inheritance tax planning and tax advice for UK and offshore trusts.
Overseen by Jemma Lascelles, Director of Personal Tax, who is a chartered accountant and chartered tax adviser, we are a friendly and dynamic team passionate about providing our clients a first class service with a personal touch. Tax can seem complex but it is important for us that the focus remains on our clients' long term objectives for their estate and their family, we believe tax planning should offer practical steps which work towards these objectives in a clear and effective way. We have been working with many of our clients for a number of years now and are proud of the relationships that we have developed over that time.
Jenna Fyfe is our tax manager; having initially completed her tax technician training at a Big Four accountancy firm, she has also worked at one of Devon's leading independent chartered accountants and is a fully qualified chartered tax adviser.
Jessica Keen is a trainee tax adviser who is currently studying with the Association of Taxation Technicians and Kerryann Widger is the team's Tax Assistant who has worked in the team for many years and prides herself on providing excellent client service.
- Extra time available for Inheritance Tax planning
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and delaying tax payments
- Coronavirus - personal tax, wills and charities
- Stamp Duty Land Tax: HMRC tightens "garden or grounds" loophole
- Tax implications of investing in cryptocurrency
- Inheritance Tax relief on gifts to charities
- Overseas Entities Bill – Registration of Overseas Beneficial Owners
- Inheritance Tax - two more recent BPR cases
- Draft Finance Bill 2019 now published
- Should I purchase a rental property through a limited company?
- Non-Resident Capital Gains Tax - Flaws in HMRC Guidance
- Taxation: Where there’s relief, there’s a way
- Worldwide Disclosure Facility – what's the process and who's eligible?
- Residential Property update