Insurance and Reinsurance
Insurance Policyholder Coverage Team
Michelmores prides itself on knowing and understanding the insurance market so as to provide pragmatic advice and effective outcomes for our clients.
We have a specialist policyholder insurance coverage team that offers a conflict-free platform to act against insurers. We also act for policyholder-owned Captives.
We have extensive experience of insurance mediation, arbitration and litigation, including complex, international and multi-party coverage disputes.
We are recognised and ranked in Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners for the specialist work we do in this field.
- FCA announces details of business interruption test case
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and cybersecurity
- Michelmores considers COVID-19 group actions against insurers
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and insurers behaving badly …
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) - effect on rural businesses
- Coronavirus - lease management for business landlords
- Coronavirus - lease management for business tenants
- Coronavirus Business Legal Hour - 02.04.20
- Coronavirus update - insurance implications of unoccupied premises
- Coronavirus Business Legal Hour
- Coronavirus Pandemic – is my business protected by insurance?
- Will your insurer be able to pay claims post-Brexit?
- No-deal Brexit? – Implications for the financial services sector
- Framework for the UK-EU partnership in Financial Services
- Back to Basics: Product Recall Insurance
- Judge takes hard line against insurers' drafting
- Insurers' 'duty to speak'
- Supreme Court rules on solicitors' PI policy
- Fraudulent device rule does not apply to "collateral lies"
- Fintech – Evolution or Revolution
- Insurers set to try and contract out of New Insurance Act
- Damages for late payment of insurance claims a reality as Enterprise Act receives Royal Assent
- Aggregation clauses
- Insurance Premium Tax on the rise again
- New whistleblowing rules - is your business ready?
- Enterprise Bill passes second reading in the House of Commons
- An update on the Enterprise Bill
- African insurers beware! Significant changes are coming for buyers of English reinsurance
- Foreign insurers beware! Significant changes are coming for buyers of English reinsurance
- Fresh hope for policyholders! Government's Enterprise Bill picks up on late payment of insurance claims
- Tianjin Explosions – Insurance losses could reach $1.5 billion
- New Insurance Act offers (re)insurers a second bite at the cherry
- Policyholders warned not to sacrifice insurance coverage
- When is an event "likely to give rise to a claim"?
- The new Insurance Act 2015 – how can policyholders benefit now?
- Cyber "myths" putting UK SMEs at risk
- Product recall – five top tips for maximising insurance cover
- Garbhan Shanks and Harriet Stokes are featured in Strategic Risk Magazine - should insurers and policyholders turn their backs on arbitration?
- Insurance Act receives Royal Assent
- Claims cooperation clauses – when is an information request unreasonable?
- The importance of being honest – the fraudulent device rule in insurance claims
- Insurance Bill – an update
- Biba and Airmic give evidence to a House of Lords committee on the Insurance Bill
- Brokers' duties to advise on BI insurance clarified
- Garbhan Shanks and Harriet Stokes are featured in Insurance Day - FOS has no jurisdiction to determine D&O complaint
- High profile litigator joins Michelmores
Get in touch
- Advising various business sector clients with Covid-19 business interruption and event cancellation claims.
- Acting for a US medical device manufacturer defending an MDL in product liability indemnity claims through the entire excess tower.
- Acting for a public sector client defending litigation relating to an historic event giving rise to public liability insurance recoveries across several decades.
- Advising a manufacturer under a Business Combined Insurance Policy for material damage caused to machinery and business interruption losses due to a sudden and extended failure in the electricity supply from the National Grid.
- Acting for an energy company under an Erection All Risks and Consequential Loss Policy in a physical damage and business interruption coverage dispute in relation to damage to a power station in Asia.
- Acted for a pharmaceutical company in high value Bermuda Form arbitrations against a number of its insurers in relation to the scope and extent of its Product Liability coverage of third party US class action claims.
- Acted for a web based company under its Privacy Risks Policy for data protection breaches as a result of a fraudulent boiler-room scam, which included investigations by the SFO and FCA.
- Advised a UK bank in an indemnity claim under their Corporate Crime Policy in respect of a substantial third party fraud.
- Advised one of the UK's leading outsourcing companies on Professional Indemnity cover in respect of failed film finance investment schemes.
- Acted for Munnelly Support Services Limited in a High Court Claim brought against Liberty and ACE in 2017 relating to a coverage dispute between the respective PI and EL insurance covers.
- Represented a water company in an insurance property claim arising out of damage to a reservoir dam wall due to a sink hole
- Acting for a captive reinsurer in a $500m political risk expropriation loss subject to LCIA arbitration.
- Acted for reinsurers Wasa International Insurance Company Limited in their successful appeal to the House of Lords in July 2009 against Lexington in respect of back to back reinsurance cover for underlying US environmental pollution losses and a US$100m clean up bill to US aluminum producer, Alcoa.
- Acted for Japanese reinsurers in Aioi Dowa Insurance Co Ltd v Heraldglen Ltd and Another  EWHC 154 (Comm), which was an appeal on a point of law from an arbitral award, as to whether the 9/11 attack on the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center were caused by one unified act of terrorism or two separate acts of hijacking to determine the number of occurrences.
- Successfully defended Aviva Canada Inc. in having a reinsurance High Court claim by Minster Insurance Company dismissed against them