"He was the lead partner on our matter and was outstanding in support."
Chambers UK 2023
"Richard Cobb has wide-ranging experience in corporate and M&A work across a variety of industry sectors. He often acts for entrepreneurs and business owners."
"A very good lawyer with a very strong reputation. He is very good on strategic advice, keeping the deal on track and anticipating and avoiding any pitfalls.
"Excellent ability to negotiate, achieving good results for his clients, but at the same time getting deals done."
Chambers and Partners 2020
"pragmatic and sensible"
Richard is Head of the Corporate Team, Head of the Private Wealth sector, and the Firm's Senior Partner. He specialises in corporate and commercial work in a variety of sectors for companies and individuals. He is a recognised expert in mergers and acquisitions and MBOs, having advised on over 300 transactions, and covers Full List and AIM work, including IPOs. Richard is highly ranked as a notable practitioner in Chambers and Partners and recommended for his work in The Legal 500.
His focus in the Private Wealth sector is on owners of private businesses at all stages of the business cycle from start up to exit. He has a particular interest in technology and innovation and works closely with the team delivering MiVentures and the firm's MAINstream angel investor network.
Richard is top ranked in the independent legal guide, Chambers and Partners, as a notable practitioner for corporate law in the South West as well as being recommended by the Legal 500 guide. He advises key corporate and individual clients across the firm's three main offices.
After reading law at St John's College, Cambridge, Richard qualified in the City at Olswang, where he worked for 8 years dealing with mergers and acquisitions, share schemes, commercial contracts and fundraisings for a range of clients, from small private companies to major listed PLCs, before becoming Head of Legal and Company Secretary at a FTSE listed technology PLC in London.
Richard joined national firm Bond Pearce (now Womble Bond Dickinson) as a corporate finance partner in 2003, where he was Head of the Media and Technology Team, led the Equity Capital Markets practice and was involved in numerous high-value UK and international corporate transactions in the technology, retail, property and energy sectors. He joined Michelmores in 2010.
Richard enjoys supporting Exeter Chiefs rugby, playing tennis and playing guitar and singing in the firm's band "The Disclaimers".
- Acting for Full List PLC Haynes Publishing Group PLC on its £114m sale and delisting
- Acting for Emma Bridgewater on private equity investment from BGF
- Acting for Seasalt on private equity investment from BGF
- Acting for London and International tech company TESM on it sale to DXC (formerly Hewlett Packard)
- Advising a large real estate owning family in London on succession issues
- Advising the private shareholders of UKRD (owners of Pirate fm and a portfolio of other radio stations) on its sale to Bauer Media
- Advising on the MBO of Calendar Club – a 280 store retailer and print publishing business.
- Acting for St Austell Brewery on the purchase of Bath Ales brewery and pub portfolio
- Advising a healthcare technology company on a successful exit strategy.
- Implementing a remuneration policy, share scheme and LTIP for a Full List plc
- Advising aerospace electronics manufacturer Aero Stanrew on its £42m sale
- Advising on EIS fundraisings for several funds and early stage vehicles.
- Introducing a growth share scheme for a London based executive intelligence business
- Acting for European private equity investors in the sale of their large stake in a Mongolian Financial Services group.
- Acting for the founders of Magic Seaweed on a share sale to Surf Stitch.
- Acting for London fintech company Pay4Later on its sale to NewDay
- Acting on the £600m sale of Mint Hotels to Blackstone.