Michelmores has an established reputation for its work in the public sector and numbers among its broad public sector client base many emergency services, located across England and Wales.
In particular, the Firm is appointed to the National Legal Services Framework for police forces, under which all forces and other stipulated emergency services are permitted to call off our services, to provide:
- Commercial, contracts and procurement advice
- Commercial and residential property and PFI advice
The wide-ranging nature of the emergency services and other public bodies for whom Michelmores acts, together with the diverse nature of the transactions that we undertake, is bolstered by our understanding of the regulatory framework and other constraints within which these clients must work.
- Advising a police force on the arrangements for the commercialisation of its language skills solution including ICT support.
- Acting for a police force on the £multi-million disposal of a 19 hectare site to a residential developer.
- Advising a police force on the impact of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill, including liaising with the Bill Team.
- Devon & Cornwall Constabulary (now Devon and Cornwall Police Authority): Leading advice on the business-critical procurement of a replacement Command and Control System and in relation to the 2012 Procurement Programme (under Competitive Dialogue) which involved a complex transformation covering business change, business process re-engineering and the complex £multi-million procurement for a fully integrated end-to-end ICT system.
- Advising police forces on complex procurement issues arising from the variation of high-value facilities management contracts and the renegotiation of PFI contracts.
- Sole legal provider for a police force's property disposal programme, subject to tight timescales in order to deliver capital sums to an immovable deadline.
- Advising a police force in relation to a planning agreement required to secure planning consent for new police facilities.
- Advising a police force on the planning aspects of a major site disposal for housing and mixed uses, including site assembly matters.
- Acting for a police force on the recovery of possession from squatters of a former police station in a prominent location that was being marketed for sale and possible re-development.
- Advising an emergency service on the procurement of a national security network.
- Acting for an ambulance trust on the procurement of a digital radio voice and data communications system. This was a collaborative procurement with other ambulance services and the Department of Health and had a value of £540m.
- Advising a police force on supplier non-performance and material breach of contract in relation to case and custody software solutions, including mediation, then termination.
- Providing a police force with legal, tactical and strategic advice on ICT services agreement and the PSN framework agreement for connectivity and services.