Russia & CIS
Our legal services have a global reach with an ever-increasing demand from overseas clients both for representation in litigation and arbitration based in this jurisdiction and also for advice and representation in connection with international investment transactions based on English law. We act for both UK companies with Russian business interests and Russian companies with UK business interests. We also provide a full advisory service for high net worth Russian nationals and their families from tax and trust planning to acting in real estate sales and acquisitions. Our business arrangements make it possible to structure our fees in the most effective way.
Our London office is situated in the heart of the capital’s legal district.
- Private Wealth: The Private Wealth team comprises over 40 lawyers and provides comprehensive advice to individuals, families, family offices and businesses. Much of our advice concerns structuring international private wealth that has a UK-facing element to ensure tax efficiency, effective control and asset protection. We also provide a full advisory service for high net worth foreign nationals and their families, whether domiciled in the UK, Russia, or elsewhere.
- Real Estate: One of the main assets for foreign investment is real estate – which includes both residential and commercial property. Michelmores' Real Estate team has a great deal of experience in all aspects of real estate investment and has acted for a number of central and local government agencies, UK and foreign institutional investors and developers, ultra-high net worth individuals and sovereign wealth funds.
- Disputes: Our highly talented team of specialist litigation, arbitration and regulatory lawyers provide expert advice on the management of disputes across a wide range of matters and industries. We can act in defamation to fraud matters to acting in complex high value commercial disputes.
- Family issues: The Family team has extensive experience in dealing with a broad range of family matters that have an international element, and in particular, relationship breakdown where substantial assets are involved. They work closely with the Private Wealth Team to ensure that the most favourable overall outcomes are achieved for our clients. The team understands the importance of identifying the best jurisdiction for our clients from the outset in ensuring the protection of any worldwide assets. The team's bespoke approach means that these cases are always dealt with in the most cost-effective manner possible, without unnecessary argument or expense.
- Providing English law advice on a multi $m acquisition of shares in a Russian Bank and a Russian credit card processing company
- We have acted for Russian nationals in English High Court Disputes.
- Acting for foreign entities and individuals on real estate projects based in London.
- Advising Russian nationals on the UK tax consequences of becoming resident in the UK and advising on the most tax efficient means of structuring assets in order to take advantage of the remittance basis of taxation.
- Advising Russian nationals on the ownership structures associated with UK residential property following the introduction of an annual tax on 'enveloped dwellings'.