A surrogate mother should obtain expert legal advice at the outset. Surrogacy law in the UK can raise complex legal issues. Surrogacy is a legally restricted practice and agreements are not contractually enforceable in law. It is a criminal offence to advertise as a prospective surrogate mother in the UK.
Surrogacy law and policy is fast-moving and evolving. It is important you understand the law and application of it in your particular situation, together with the process and implications of undergoing fertility treatment for surrogacy at a UK licensed fertility clinic.
How we can help
To find out more about our bespoke legal services click here.
Our dedicated team provides confidential and accessible expert advice on:
- fertility law in the UK and internationally
- surrogacy law in the UK and internationally
- adoption law in the UK
- acquisition of legal parenthood for a surrogate born child
- acquisition of parental responsibility for a surrogate born child
- legal risk analysis in your situation
- financial provision for a surrogate born child
- arrangements for a surrogate born child
- preparation of a specialist Will for surrogacy
Click these links to read more about:
To gain an understanding of wider issues in the development of and current issues surrounding fertility, parenting and family law in the UK and internationally click here to visit our Media and Publications section.
You can also find out more about assisted conception, surrogacy and family law in the UK in our resource hub.
For further information and assistance please contact Louisa Ghevaert, Partner and Head of the Fertility and Parenting Team at Michelmores. Email email@example.com or call +44(0)207 7886382.