As a heterosexual couple there are a variety of ways you can create a family and manage the legal implications including:
When deciding to start a family there is a great deal to consider. Creating your family through fertility treatment and assisted conception, surrogacy or adoption, requires navigation of a variety of additional legal and practical issues in an evolving area of law and medical practice. We help you understand the law to make informed decisions appropriate for you and your family. When unexpected legal difficulties arise along your journey to parenthood or after the birth of your child we are supportive and provide tailor made solutions.
Undergoing fertility treatment at a UK fertility clinic licensed by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority ('HFEA') requires you to give informed consent to treatment. The law and legal status of parents and children born as a result of fertility treatment is complex. This is not just a form filling exercise. We can help you understand the law and legal implications associated with your fertility treatment and help you make legally informed decisions that accurately reflect your wishes.
How we can help
To find out more about our bespoke legal services click here.
We can provide independent expert legal advice on:
- acquisition of legal parenthood for a child
- acquisition and exercise of parental responsibility for a child
- fertility law in the UK and internationally
- donor conception law in the UK and internationally
- surrogacy law in the UK and internationally
- adoption law in the UK and inter-country adoption
- legal risk analysis in your situation
- legal advice and assistance concerning financial provision for a child
- a dispute about arrangements for a child
- a relationship breakdown
- preparation of a specialist 'Family Proof' Wills
Click these links to read more about:
To gain an understanding of wider issues in the development of and current issues surrounding fertility, parenting and family law in the UK and internationally click here to visit our Media and Publications section.
You can also find out more about assisted conception and family law in the UK in our resource hub.
For further information and assistance contact Louisa Ghevaert, Partner and Head of the Fertility and Parenting Team at Michelmores. Email email@example.com or call +44(0)207 7886382.