Fertility treatment encompasses: donor conception (including known donation and inter-family donation), surrogacy, posthumous conception, solo parenting and co-parenting to create flexible family building options. The law and legal status of parents and children born through fertility treatment is complex and compounded by financial, emotional and practical issues.
Undergoing fertility treatment at a UK licensed fertility clinic requires you to understand the law and legal implications of your fertility treatment and give written informed consent. Informed consent varies according to:
- your situation – single, married, cohabiting (including both heterosexual and same sex relationships),
- whether you are using your own or third party gametes (eggs or sperm),
- the nature and form of family you wish to create.
We help you understand the law and legal issues to assist you make legally informed decisions right for you. Those decisions will underpin the success and well-being of your long awaited much wanted family.
How we can help
To find out more about our bespoke legal services click here.
We deliver expert independent legal advice on:
- acquisition of legal parenthood for a child
- acquisition and exercise of parental responsibility for a child
- fertility law in the UK and internationally
- donor conception law in the UK and internationally
- surrogacy law in the UK and internationally
- adoption law in the UK and inter-country adoption
- known donation law and prepare a known donor agreement
- co-parenting law and prepare a co-parenting agreement
- legal risk analysis in your situation
- assistance concerning financial provision for a child
- a dispute about arrangements for a child
- relationship breakdown
- preparation of specialist 'Family Proof' Wills
Click these links to read more about:
To gain an understanding of wider issues in the development of and current issues surrounding fertility, parenting and family law in the UK and internationally click here to visit our Media and Publications section.
You can also find out more about assisted conception and family law in the UK in our resource hub.
For further information and assistance contact Louisa Ghevaert, Partner and Head of the Fertility and Parenting Team at Michelmores. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44(0)207 7886382.