The Chinese Government has allowed foreign direct investment (FDI) for many years, and FDI continues to grow significantly. Chinese companies are adopting global strategies, with a desire to enter new markets to secure know-how, technology, brands and supplies of natural resources. The previously bureaucratic regime controlling output investment by Chinese firms has now been completely liberalised.
The UK Government is keen to secure further Chinese investment into the UK, and China is encouraging investors to explore more lucrative markets abroad.
In response to this, our China Desk was set up to support the increasing numbers of Chinese corporates and private individuals who are investing abroad. Subsequently, we have been able to build a strong network of contacts in China who can prove invaluable for our UK clients looking to either invest or do business in the Chinese market.
Alongside our China Desk, Michelmores is also supporting YangTze Law Company Limited, which is the first Chinese wholly owned law firm regulated in the UK. Michelmores works closely with YangTze Law and the YangTze Legal Network in China, which is a group of 40 law firms spread geographically across China. This provides Michelmores' clients with an excellent network of advisers across China.
Michelmores is therefore extremely well placed to offer services to Chinese investors, and also to UK companies looking to invest or do business in China.
In addition to advising clients on inbound and outbound investment, we also provide advice to individual and institutional clients seeking to obtain visas in the UK for investment, working, studying and permanent residence. We provide a wide range of immigration law services, including Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4 and Tier 5 visa applications under the UK's 5 Tier points-based system.
Get in touch
- Advising Greenland Group on the site set up and residential sales for its Ram Brewery site
- Advising Bochao Automotive on its global patent protection programme
- Advising a number of high net-worth Chinese individuals on their acquisition strategy for property in the UK
- Advising YangTze Law Company on its incorporation in the UK
- Assisting a large Chinese pharmaceutical company in its acquisition search in the UK
- Advising several Chinese institutions in relation to their joint venture arrangements with English education institutions to create international schools in China