“Rachel Cook is very sensible and grounded”.
Recommended lawyer – Legal 500, 2015.
Rachel is a Consultant Solicitor in the Family Team.
She joined Michelmores as a Consultant in 2013, having previously been a practising Family Law Solicitor for over 15 years.
Rachel specialises in Children’s Law and in particular adoption. She is an independent Adoption Panel Chair for two Local Authority Adoption Agencies.
In addition, Rachel is an independent Chair of the Health & Care Professions Tribunal Service; an independent member of the Parole Board and an associate for Research in Practice.
Rachel enjoys a sporting challenge - in September 2018 she is cycling from London to Amsterdam.
- Helping to implement and shape the new Regional Adoption Agency, Adopt Southwest.
- In December 2017, Rachel achieved her accredited status as an independent panel member of the Parole Board
- In January 2018, Ofsted rated Somerset County Council’s adoption service as ‘good’. The Ofsted report specifically states: the ‘committed and effective adoption panel provides strong, independent scrutiny of adoption practice’.
- Helping to shape the Government’s adoption reform agenda through membership of Coram BAAF Legal Group Advisory Committee.
- Project Consultant to a published Ministry of Justice national evaluation report (care proceedings); including presenting to Sir James Munby, President of the Family Division. In 2014, she was appointed an associate with Research in Practice.
- As a visiting lecturer at Plymouth University in Family Law, wining an award in 2013 for her teaching in the category of most innovative use of teaching methods.