Peter Williams FCIArb
Peter was the first and only solicitor nationally to be identified as a star individual for Agricultural Law in the Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession.
"Leader in his field"
Legal 500 2016
"The "doyen" of agricultural property litigation, he works ceaselessly, tirelessly and inventively for his clients on complex litigation."
"A leading negotiator who settles cases nobody else can settle, he came in, hit the nail on the head and knew exactly what we were after. He is a very tenacious man."
Peter is a Partner in the Agricultural team.
He joined Michelmores in October 2012 and specialises in agricultural property disputes, farming partnerships and banking and often undertakes advocacy, particularly at arbitrations. His clients include landowners, tenants, lenders, borrowers and a range of agricultural businesses.
Peter is the author of the definitive textbook on the Law of Agricultural Holdings, 10th Edition, which was renamed Scammell, Densham and Williams Law of Agricultural Holdings and published in 2015. He has written or co-authored many other leading publications, including Halsbury's Laws (Agriculture) and Sweet & Maxwell's Agricultural Law, Tax and Finance.
Peter is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and a Fellow of the British Institute of Agricultural Consultants. He has higher rights of audience in the Civil Courts. He also regularly lectures to the RICS, CAAV, Arbrix and others. Peter is a former Blundell Lecturer.
Peter acted in Pye v Graham (2002) House of Lords, a case involving the adverse possession of agricultural land. This case was voted by the Property Litigation Association to be the case with the greatest significance for an impact on property law in the previous decade.
- Ham v Ham (2013) Court of Appeal: farming partnership.
- Downs v Kingsbridge Pension Fund Trustees (2013) First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber): Succession to AHA tenancy.
- Davies v AHP Land Limited (2014) High Court: Agricultural Holdings Arbitration Appeal.
- Brake v Patley Wood Farm LLP (2014) High Court: Partnership Arbitration Appeal.
- Munday v Commercial First Business Ltd(2014) Court of Appeal: estoppel
- Eco-Farming Limited v Price and the (late) Earl of Leicester (2015) High Court: Liquidation of Tenant Company and Single Farm Payments
- Davies v Davies (No. 2) (2016) Court of Appeal: estoppel
- Bell v Ham (No. 2) (2016) High Court: farming partnership
- Moore v Moore (2018) Court of Appeal: estoppel/farming partnership