Solicitor – admitted 2008
"Karen Williams is very charismatic, decisive and responsive. She is great at anticipating issues before they arise and works really well with others"
The Legal 500, 2021
Karen joined Michelmores in 2011, and is a banking and finance lawyer, advising in connection with domestic and international banking transactions as well as debt restructuring transactions.
Karen has a diverse practice acting for UK clearing banks, alternative lenders, social enterprises and private investors in relation to development finance, project finance, secured lending, impact investment and security reviews. She also regularly advises borrowers in connection with such matters and has experience advising debtors in relation to debt restructuring. Having worked on both sides of such transactions, she has a highly commercial approach to facilitating the delivery of a transaction, whilst at the same time ensuring that the correct safeguards are in place should any issues arise in the future.
She has specialist expertise in advising impact investment institutions making debt investments both domestically and internationally across the emerging markets.
Karen is recognised as a "Next Generation Partner" in The Legal 500.
When she isn't working, she is a keen sportswoman, playing golf, running marathons and completing cycle sportives, including taking part in the Cape Argus, the largest timed road cycle race in the world.
- Advising Proparco and Global Partnerships in connection with their participation as the first investors in a debt programme established by the international arm of the one of the world's largest development organisations BRAC.
- Advising in relation to the acquisition of a major hotel chain which included advising in relation to a $180m listed bond to fund the transaction and the target group's senior secured facilities of circa £170m.
- Acting on behalf of an international investment manager in connection with funding of £17m for the acquisition of a hotel portfolio. The revised facilities include a CLBILS facility in light of the COVID pandemic.
- Advising development finance institutions, Finnfund and FMO, on debt facility to an East African sustainable forestry group.
- Acting for a major hotel group in connection with the restructuring of c.£100m of debt and the subsequent assignment of its debt and equity to new investors.
- Acting for the borrower in relation to the development and financing of a new 400-bed hotel and the negotiation of a hotel management agreement with premium international hospitality brand.
- Advising social housing fund in connection with numerous investments into social impact projects in the social housing sector.
- Acting on behalf of international Investment Manager in connection with funding of £17m for acquisition of hotel portfolio.
- Advising social impact funds in connection with multiple secured loans to housing related charities and community renewables projects.
- Advising Ticketus LLP in connection with its claim of in excess of £27m arising out of the collapse of the Rangers Football Club Plc.
- Advising in connection with acquisition of international online retail business from administration.
- Advising and assisting in connection with the £7m restructuring of debt of an international garden machinery manufacturing and retailing business.
- Advising funds and receivers in connection with distressed development and bridging finance matters.