Justin is an Associate in the Commercial team and a key member of the cross-practice and award-winning Technology & Innovation team, which is also part of the firm's ranked IT & Telecom practice. He is also actively involved as part of the team delivering the firm's MiVentures programme.
Prior to a career in law, Justin has led and worked for both large, and early-stage venture backed, technology companies. He has a wealth of international, commercial and entrepreneurial experience across a range of sectors and brings a pragmatic, commercially realistic approach to the advice he provides clients.
Justin advises on a wide range of commercial technology contracts, with a strong expertise in security and data protection regulatory compliance. He has a strength for complex B2B2C technology platforms that increasingly make use of AI technologies across a range of (both regulated and non-regulated) sectors.
Justin also has a strong interest in the space industry. Prior to joining Michelmores Justin was the only UK candidate selected for the European Space Agency's ECSL course in Space Law and Policy (Class of 2013). He has worked as a legal advisor for the Satellite Applications Catapult's South-West Centre of Excellence SpaceTech Incubation programme, backed by the UK Space Agency and was also part of the team that helped advise Spaceport Cornwall and Cornwall Council on the regulatory and legal requirements for building, licensing and operating a horizontal spaceport in the UK.
Justin speaks, reads and writes Mandarin Chinese. He has an MA in Chinese from the University of Edinburgh, an LL.M in data protection from the University of Law.
- Advising Landmark Information Group, Searchflow and Optimus and other parts of the Daily Mail and General Trust plc group on a full range of commercial agreements, service launches, licensing and regulatory compliance in relation to the group's full spectrum of geodata and connected services.
- Advising the UK's leading online life insurance and protection broker on a wide range of commercial technology arrangements (both regulated and non-regulated), including in relation to the launch of a new, industry-first, multi-lender digital product offering.
- Advising Limitless Technology on the launch and role out of a "crowd-sourced" customer service solution that connects major consumer product and service brands with their fans and brand ambassadors and harness that knowledge to provide customer service to consumers.
- Advising on an extensive data protection compliance programme in relation to the use of end-consumer data for a fin-tech and equity backed client operating a multi-tiered lending platform that enables retailers to offer point of sale consumer finance and credit cards, thereby connecting lenders, retailers and customers.
- Advising an early-stage software client building a SaaS enterprise platform for the space industry with military grade security infrastructure on the space object registration compliance regime (including The Convention on Registration of Objects Launched into Outer Space) and issues under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Advising a small satellite operator on Earth observation market entry and data protection regulatory compliance.
- Advising a fast-growth geospatial data technology client on intellectual property and cybercrime risks.