Joshua is a solicitor in the Private Wealth team based in our London office.
Joshua advises individuals, families, and trustees on a range of private client matters, generally on issues related to the growth, structure, and devolution of personal and business wealth. This includes advising on succession, wills, inheritance, trusts, and tax and estate planning.
Joshua particularly enjoys advising on matters that involve an international element, having also studied French Law at Grenoble University, France. He frequently advises clients who are not resident or domiciled in the UK as well as those that are based in the UK but hold assets abroad.
Joshua is a STEP Affiliate.
- Providing estate plans to US connected individuals including preparing wills; restructuring UK and US assets in order to minimise exposure to US and UK capital taxes; advising on the US/UK double taxation treaty; and advising on the concepts of domicile, deemed domicile, and residence.
- Advising on European succession regulations and preparing tax-efficient English wills that govern all assets held throughout the EU.
- Establishing a strategy for an individual who was looking to emigrate from the UK and to liquidate his UK-based assets, and advising on non-resident capital gains tax (which resulted in significant tax savings).
- Advising foreign nationals who are looking to relocate to the UK, including advising on how to structure assets in a tax-efficient manner prior to arrival in the UK.
- Administering a number of estates, which has included co-ordinating the administration of estates with assets in multiple jurisdictions (including in Common Law jurisdictions, Civil Law jurisdictions, and Islamic Law jurisdictions); resealing English grants of probate for use abroad; resealing foreign grants of probate for use within the UK; restructuring the devolution of assets in the UK to minimise exposure to foreign tax; and advising on intestacies (where there is no will) and insolvent estates.
- Acting on behalf of the trustees of a number of trusts including an established group of interlinked family trusts, charitable trusts, and will trusts. This includes advising the trustees of their legal and fiduciary obligations, trust restructuring, tax implications and consequences; submitting and advising on reporting declarations (to HMRC and under FATCA/CRS); preparing trust deeds; and dealing with other issues as they arise.