Ranked by Chambers & Partners legal guide as a 'Noted Practitioner' for Capital Markets: AIM – UK-wide
2017 Legal 500: M&A: Smaller Deals, up to £50m: Ian Binnie is "first class".
2015 Legal 500 Flotations: small and mid-cap. Ian Binnie is ‘versatile, solutions driven and commercially minded’.
Ian is Head of the Capital Markets team, based in the London office. He is an experienced corporate partner, recognised by Chambers & Partners as a 'noted practitioner' for UK capital markets - AIM and by Legal 500 for M&A up to £50 million.
Ian provides pragmatic legal advice across the full range of corporate transactions working with a client base which extends to investment banks, public and private companies as well as funds and family offices. Sector expertise extends to mining and metals, oil & gas, clean-tech, healthcare, fin tech and consumer-orientated businesses. Many of Ian's transactions have an international element - particularly Africa and other emerging economies, and he has extremely strong relationships with the India business community gained from many years leading the South Asia group at his previous firm.
- Advising AIM-quoted Modern Water plc on its recent Open Offer to shareholders
- Acting for African Battery Metals plc (AIM) on two African cobalt-nickel acquisitions and associated placing
- Advising Whitman Howard as sole bookrunner in the £12 million fundraising for Koovs plc (AIM)
- Acting for Brandon Hill Capital and Cantor Fitzgerald Europe as joint brokers on a £5.5 million placing for Kefi Minerals plc (AIM)
- Acting for Smith & Williamson Corporate Finance as nomad in the placing by TMT Investments plc.
- Advising Strand Hanson as financial adviser/nominated adviser and Tamesis Partners and Beaufort Securities as joint brokers in the admission to AIM of Cradle Arc plc and associated placing following its acquisition of a Botswanan copper-producing mine constituting a reverse takeover.
- Advising Feronia Inc. (TSX venture exchange), the large-scale commercial farmland and oil palm plantation operator in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in connection with its funding options resulting in a US$17.5 million private placement.
- Advising African Battery Metals plc (AIM) in a placing and subscription.
- Acting for AIM quoted investment bank Arden Partners plc and Whitman Howard in relation to a £7.83 million placing (carried out as an accelerated book build) for Reabold Resources plc (AIM)
- Advising Cantor Fitzgerald Europe as nomad and broker in the admission to AIM of ASX/AIM dual quoted Range Resources Limited following the acquisition of an oilfield services business constituting a reverse takeover.
- Advising VSA Capital as financial adviser and broker to Columbus Energy Resources plc, the AIM-quoted Trinidad-based E&P in a £4.1 million placing, subscription and open offer.
- Acting for AIM quoted Modern Water plc on its placing, completed as an accelerated book build, and subscription.
- Acting for Turner Pope Investments (TPI) and Whitman Howard as joint brokers in a £4 million placing for AIM quoted Reabold Resources plc.
- Advising Whitman Howard as financial adviser and broker to standard listed Levrett plc on the acquisition of Nuformix (constituting a reverse takeover) and the associated placing and re-admission to the LSE Main Market.
- Advising Cantor Fitzgerald Europe on debt restructuring and placing on AIM for Trinity Exploration & Production plc
- Acting for Plant Health Care plc on its accelerated-whitewash compliant AIM placing and open offer
- Acting for AIM quoted Sula Iron & Gold plc on a placing and open offer and a further subscription through Riverfort Global Capital including advising on an associated 'equity sharing' agreement.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acting for the shareholders of Knadel Limited, the market-leading investment management consultancy, in its sale to Catalyst Development, the award-winning specialist financial markets consultancy - following the investment from mid-market private equity firm Livingbridge.
- Advising the Mayor's Office For Policing And Crime (MOPAC) on its £250 million acquisition of The Empress State Building in Earls Court.
- Advising Europe's largest online water sports retailer, Wetsuit Outlet in a growth capital investment of £5 million from Mobeus Equity Partners.
Private Equity - Acting for Management Teams
- Acting for the management team of a PE-backed group in negotiating and settling the terms of an equity incentive plan
- Acting for the UK senior management team of the division by an AIM-quoted group in their employment and equity incentive arrangements following its sale to a large US listed group.
Ian was a member of the QCA Legal Expert Group for a number of years