Ranked by the current Chambers & Partners legal guide as a 'Noted Practitioner' for Capital Markets: AIM – UK-wide
2017 Legal 500: M&A: Smaller Deals, up to £50m: Ian Binnie is "first class".
2015 Legal 500 Flotations: small and mid-cap. Ian Binnie is ‘versatile, solutions driven and commercially minded’, and regularly instructed by NOMAD Cantor Fitzgerald.
2015 Legal 500: M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m Ian Binnie is recommended
Ian is an experienced corporate partner based in the London office and leads the Michelmores Capital Markets team.
Ian offers pragmatic legal advice across the full range of corporate transactions. Extensive experience acting on transactions linked to the UK capital markets (especially AIM) – including IPOs and secondary fundraisings, public and private M&A and financing through both debt and equity. Ian has particular focus on the resources sector as well as for clean-tech, healthcare, fin tech and consumer-orientated business.
Worked for many years for a number of high profile hedge funds and also a number of family offices in relation to investments in Africa and other emerging economies he has a particular interest in cross-border transactions involving India and China.
- Advising VSA Capital as financial adviser and broker to Columbus Energy Resources plc, the AIM-quoted E&P company with operations in Trinidad, in relation to a £4.1 million placing, subscription and open offer.
- Acting for AIM client Modern Water plc on its £1.75m placing, completed as an accelerated book build, and associated subscription.
- Acting for Turner Pope Investments (TPI) and Whitman Howard as joint brokers in a £4 million placing for AIM quoted Reabold Resources plc.
- Advising Whitman Howard as financial adviser and broker to standard listed Levrett plc on the acquisition of Nuformix (constituting a reverse takeover) and the associated placing and re-admission to the LSE Main Market.
Advising Cantor Fitzgerald Europe on debt restructuring and placing on AIM for Trinity Exploration & Production plc
- Acting for Plant Health Care plc on its accelerated-whitewash compliant AIM placing and open offer
- Acting for AIM quoted Sula Iron & Gold plc on a placing and open offer and a further subscription through Riverfort Global Capital including advising on an associated 'equity sharing' agreement.
- Acting for the management team of a PE backed group in negotiating and settling the terms of an equity incentive plan
- Acting for the UK senior management team of the division by an AIM-quoted group in their employment and equity incentive arrangements following its sale to a large US listed group.
For a number of years Ian was a member of the QCA Legal Expert Group.