"An outstanding litigator who gets to the heart of matters and sorts things out."
Chambers and Partners 2020
"Chris Hoar is diligent and straightforward in his communication with clients"
Legal 500 2020
"Resourceful and knowledgeable."
"He is tenacious, professional and gets results."
Chris joined Michelmores in 2016 and is Head of Construction and Engineering.
Chris trained and spent the early part of his career at Allen & Overy, where he practised in both London and Hong Kong, before subsequently becoming a partner in a niche London and international law firm specialising in construction and infrastructure work.
Chris has spent over 25 years advising clients in relation to some of the largest infrastructure projects, both in a domestic and international context. He is particularly recognised for his stellar disputes practice and has experience in all forms of construction dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration (domestic and international), adjudication and alternative dispute resolution. He often acts in highly complex matters where his many years of experience enable him to provide clients with commercial, solutions driven advice to achieve the best possible outcomes.
In addition to his disputes work, Chris also advises clients across the supply chain on procurement strategy, building and engineering contracts, framework agreements and construction finance documents.
He holds the highly respected MSc. in Construction Law and Arbitration from King’s College London and is a member of the International Construction Projects Committee and European Regional Forum of the International Bar Association, the Society of Construction Law, the Technology and Construction Solicitors Association, the King's College London Construction Law Association and the Adjudication Society. In addition to England and Wales, Chris is also admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong.
Chris regularly speaks and writes on construction and infrastructure related issues.
- Chris has recently acted for a large U.S. contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings arising from a construction project undertaken in Israel. The matter was successfully resolved following a mediation process in New York City.
- Chris has advised a number of NHS Trusts and Foundation Trusts on issues arising out of the procurement of significant capital projects. This has included advice to a Trust on construction issues arising out of one of the largest NHS projects currently being built in South East England. Chris is also continuing to provide advice on potential claims arising out of the design and construction of a specialist pharmaceutical facility at a large regional hospital in the South West
- Chris is currently advising an English police force on disputes arising from the design and procurement of a significant storage facility.
- Chris has provided extensive advice on a range of issues arising both procurement and post-procurement to one of the country’s largest solar park developers.
- In addition to his experience in the solar sector, Chris has provided extensive advice in respect of issues arising in relation to three large energy from waste facilities.
- Chris also has particular experience on issues relating to the development and subsequent operation of gas peaker facilities.
- Chris has been heavily involved on the provision of comprehensive advice both procurement and post-procurement on one of the largest residential schemes in the South West built on former MOD land in Plymouth.
- Chris has been involved in the development of a large international hotel project on the outskirts of Exeter.