"Tough but reasonable."
Legal 500 2017
"Knowledgeable and very commercial approach. Highly capable in all areas of insolvency law."
Legal 500 2016
"A sharp lawyer who does a good job for his clients."
"Charles is highly regarded in the market for his skill in handling non-contentious restructurings and insolvencies. Sources particularly praise his accuracy and clarity of thought."
Charles is Head of the Banking, Restructuring & Insolvency team.
Previously with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Charles is a specialist non-contentious restructuring and insolvency lawyer, with significant experience in advising all types of stakeholders in distressed corporate situations.
Charles has particular experience in advising on complex restructuring transactions and on all forms of corporate insolvency, including officeholders on their duties and responsibilities. In addition, Charles regularly advises corporates and lenders in relation to debt restructuring.
Charles is also an experienced finance lawyer who regularly advises in connection with syndicated a bi-lateral senior, mezzanine and junior loans.
- Advising York Global Finance BDH, LLC, one of the respondents to the Waterfall II application made by the directors of Lehman Brothers International (Europe), in connection with the distribution of the surplus in that administration.
- Advising the board of directors of Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited in connection with the collapse of the rest of the Group.
- Advising the board of Toys 'R' Us Properties limited in connection with the administration of Toys 'R' Us Limited
- Advising the boards of the operating companies of a major, listed UK retail chain in connection with its company voluntary arrangements and related financial restructuring;
- Advising Deltafotovoltaica Issuer S.A., the issuer of €180m bonds, raised for lending to 180 SPV companies for the construction and operation of a Spanish PV array, in connection with a consensual restructuring.
- Advising KIMS Property group re the restructuring of its >£100m senior and mezzanine debts raised for the construction and operation of a private hospital.
- Advising Ticketus LLP in connection with its claim of in excess of £27m arising out of the collapse of the Rangers Football Club Plc.
- Advising the administrators of Sendo International Limited on trust issues arising in respect of the insolvency of the company with liabilities in excess of $180m.
- Advising the Faith Shoes group of companies, a high street retail chain with over 200 retail outlets, on its financial restructuring, and pre-packaged administration sale..
- Advising the liquidators of Gateway Broadcast Services Limited, a sub-Saharan Africa satellite TV broadcaster with rights to broadcast the English Premier League and many other rights in Africa.
- Advising the administrators of Altala Limited (also known as the Health Lottery), with debts in excess of £18m on the disposal of the business and potential claims.
- Advising a significant hotel group with debts in excess of £120m on its successful debt restructuring.
- Advising Mint Hotels in connection with its debt restructuring and disposal in excess of £600m.