JustAsk is our schools retainer service that enables you to pick up the phone to a familiar voice and talk through an issue. You may have an everyday legal and commercial query or it may be a more obscure challenge that you're facing. We can't always make the problem go away but we can offer sound, practical advice that gives you the confidence to deal with it. The underlying premise is that anything that can be dealt with in half an hour will be covered by the service; that said we're not going to send you a bill because the call was 35 minutes!
Here are some recent examples of queries we have advised on:
- Whether a child can be prevented from attending an overnight school trip due to their behaviour.
- Advising on whether a Head teacher has a duty of care towards children when it comes to obesity – and more importantly how to manage a difficult parent discussion about a healthy lifestyle in and out of school.
- What is the annual minimum requirement for a school to be open and how to balance an increase in a school day with the extension of a school holiday.
- Details on the legal requirement of teachers to administer medication to its pupils.
- Whether a persistent breach of a Uniform Policy is sufficient for exclusion and if so, what is the exclusion procedure.
- A school’s power to ban a parent from the school site following an incident of abusive behaviour.
- Carrying out an initial review of an examination board decision following a remark of an exam paper.
- Responding to a residential neighbour regarding a noise complaint where the school was carrying out extra-curricular activities on the site.
- Who has parental responsibility and can certain information be held back from one parent and not the other.
- The Local Authority’s responsibility for ensuring the safety of a school site during an academy conversion process.
To ensure that the right people deal with your query, all employment/HR related queries are dealt with under our JustHR service. Contact Bethan Jones on email@example.com or 01392 687438 for more information.
"Working alongside Michelmores has been a seamless venture as the vast knowledge that they have of education policy & legalities has meant that they totally understand what we are trying to achieve. The links that Michelmores have in to DFE policy has meant that we can get sound, professional advice within a very short space of time. The level of service has been professional but extremely personal with a clear priority of making our life easier whilst safe within the parameters of legal frameworks and policy."
Andy Percival, The Rodillian Academy