If you are in a same-sex relationship (a gay or lesbian couple) there are a variety of ways you can create a much wanted family and manage the legal implications. These include:
We manage the legal issues which can affect you, your child and your family. We listen and provide tailored legal advice to reflect the fast-moving and evolving nature of assisted reproduction and family law in the UK. We understand the law and help you make informed decisions that are right for you and your family. We help you if legal problems are encountered or life does not go to plan and workable solutions are needed.
Undergoing fertility treatment at a UK fertility clinic licensed by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority ('HFEA') requires informed consent to treatment. This is not just a form filling exercise. In the absence of informed consent, you may lack the intended legal status for your child with serious detrimental long term financial, practical and emotional consequences. We assist you understanding the law and legal implications associated with your fertility treatment to make legally informed decisions that accurately reflect your wishes.
How we can help
To find out more about our bespoke legal services click here.
We can provide bespoke specialised legal advice on:
- acquisition and protection of legal parenthood for a child
- acquisition and exercise of parental responsibility for a child
- fertility law in the UK and internationally
- donor conception law in the UK and internationally
- surrogacy law in the UK and internationally
- adoption law in the UK and inter-country adoption
- known donation law
- co-parenting law
- legal risk analysis in your situation
- legal advice and assistance concerning financial provision for a child
- a dispute about arrangements for a child
- relationship breakdown
- preparation of specialist 'Family Proof' Wills
Click these links to read more about:
To gain an understanding of wider issues in the development of and current issues surrounding fertility, parenting and family law in the UK and internationally click here to visit our Media and Publications section.
You can also find out more about assisted conception and family law in the UK in our resource hub.
For further information or assistance contact Louisa Ghevaert, Partner and Head of the Fertility and Parenting Team at Michelmores. Email email@example.com or call +44(0)207 7886382.