More people take ownership over the nature and character of their family building leading to known donation. For example:
- a solo women conceiving with a man
- same sex couple conceiving with a friend or internet contact
- lesbian couple conceiving with a gay couple
You enter into a known donor arrangement on a private informal basis or following fertility treatment at a UK licenced clinic or abroad. Known donation gives a known and personal dimension to your family building.
Known donation is a fast-moving and evolving area of law. The consistent message of the English Family Court is all parties should obtain specialist legal advice and a bespoke written agreement at the outset.
Known donor agreements need to be specific to individual needs. They document the legal framework and status of all parties and place practical arrangements on a firm footing. In the event of a dispute, the English Family Court will put weight on agreements where all parties have obtained specialist independent legal advice before entering into a bespoke agreement.
How we can help
We provide experienced confidential legal advice on:
- acquisition of legal parenthood for a child
- protection of parental autonomy for a child
- acquisition and exercise of parental responsibility for a child
- content and preparation of a known donor agreement
- donor conception law in the UK
- fertility law in the UK
- legal risk analysis in your situation
- financial provision for a child
- resolution of a dispute about arrangements for a child
- managing relationship breakdown
- preparation of specialist 'Family Proof' Wills
To find out more about our services click here.
Gain an understanding of wider issues in the development of and current issues surrounding fertility, parenting, donor conception and family law in the UK and internationally by clicking here to visit our Media and Publications section.
Find out more about assisted conception, known donation and family law in the UK in our resource hub.
Arrange an introductory meeting with Louisa Ghevaert, Partner and Head of the Fertility and Parenting Team at Michelmores: email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44(0)207 7886382.