Finance and Investment
By focusing on our clients' commercial priorities and investing time in understanding their businesses and the markets in which they operate, we provide tailored legal advice across the Finance & Investment sector, including banking & finance, re/insurance, funds, wealth management, fraud & financial crime, and regulation & enforcement.
We recognise that the sector is a powerful and influential driver of the UK economy, with finance and investment businesses employing over 2m people throughout the country and providing an essential framework for trade and investment to take place. We also understand that the industry is very diverse spanning retail, wholesale and international markets. Our lawyers are able to apply know-how from across the sector to achieve practical and commercial outcomes for our clients whilst navigating the ever changing regulatory landscape. We are also able to advise on any matter worldwide that is based on English Law.
Our experience extends to matters involving banking, other forms of finance (including mortgages), restructuring, investment funds, commercial contracts, technology, data protection, employment law, dispute resolution, regulatory investigations and enforcement action.
Our clients include Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander, Standard Chartered Bank, Aldermore Bank, Macquarie Group, Standard Bank, BP Marsh & Partners PLC, Octopus Investments, Evercore Pan Asset, Committed Capital and Capita Financial Group.
- Fintech – Evolution or Revolution
- Insurers set to try and contract out of New Insurance Act
- A Panamanian pickle
- Hedging your Brexit bets
- Mobile money in the developing markets
- N v S: How effective is your de-risking strategy?
- Impact of the Competition Powers
- Legal implications of Brexit
- Mis-selling claim against RBS and NatWest
- POCA success for the FCA
- New whistleblowing rules - is your business ready?
- Rising prices unlock real estate portfolios
- Competing demands of insolvency and employment law
- Legal 500 recognition for Emerging Markets
- Jonathan Kitchin featured in Financial Regulation International with article Civil Claims: The cost of market manipulation
- Making an application to the Financial Conduct Authority
- Jonathan Kitchin featured in Compliance Matters with article 'Market manipulation claims: "That's how to do a fix!"'
- An update on the Enterprise Bill
- Jonathan Kitchin featured in Global Banking & Finance Review article 'Financial market manipulation: the tale of 2015'
- Andrew Oldland QC comments on Flash Crash trader's latest fight against extradition in The Telegraph
- Fresh hope for policyholders! Government's Enterprise Bill picks up on late payment of insurance claims
- London's new financial super court
- Changes to the FCA's complaint handling rules: update for financial services firms
- Tianjin Explosions – Insurance losses could reach $1.5 billion
- New Insurance Act offers (re)insurers a second bite at the cherry
- Market Manipulation: The tale of 2015
- Policyholders warned not to sacrifice insurance coverage after ‘disappointing’ IPT increase to 9.5%
- A revolution in invoice financing?
- Michelmores acts on deal that saved over 30 jobs in Exeter
- Barclays wins capital subscription loan claim against former Dewey & LeBoeuf partner
- Employee Shareholder Status
- When is an event "likely to give rise to a claim"?
- Blurred Lines - Regulatory Sanction & Civil Claims in Banking
- Cyber Insurance – An Update
- Internal investigations: inside jobs – Andrew Oldland QC featured in Law Society Gazette
- The new Insurance Act 2015 – how can policyholders benefit now?
- Cyber "myths" putting UK SMEs at risk
- Is access to funding improving?
- Insurance Act receives Royal Assent
- Swiss Franc turbulence - what this means for the forex market
- The importance of being honest – the fraudulent device rule in insurance claims
- Insurance Bill – an update
- Financial Services Update: 2014
- Funds Litigation Update
- Assessing Quantum in Best Execution Claims
- Mis-Selling Review 2014
- Brokers' duties to advise on BI insurance clarified
- Garbhan Shanks and Harriet Stokes are featured in Insurance Day - FOS has no jurisdiction to determine D&O complaint
- Anti-Money Laundering Case Update
- Asset Based Lending Growth – but problems remain in traditional markets
- Michelmores Advises on Significant Partial MBO
- Share Schemes Annual Returns
- Michelmores advises Limitless Earth plc on AIM stock market listing
- Will Access to Funding Hold Back Manufacturing?
- Financial Services and Markets Round-Up
- The Employee Shareholder: What it means?
- VAT and Holiday Caravans
- Unlocking capital for holiday parks: the increasing popularity of alternative funding options