"Louisa Ghevaert has a strong reputation for her work in parenting and fertility treatment-related matters, and is particularly praised for her surrogacy expertise…She is very good, extremely conscientious, and knows not just legal arrangements, but is very focused on providing a full service to clients."
Chambers & Partners 2017
"Clients ‘feel that they are in very safe hands’. Louisa Ghevaert is ‘enormously knowledgeable about surrogacy law’."
Legal 500 UK Guide 2016
"She is very knowledgeable and wise in her advice. If I had a surrogacy issue it's her I would go to as I trust her to get it absolutely spot-on."
Chambers & Partners UK Guide 2016
"the exceptional Louisa Ghevaert is recommended for her knowledge of fertility law".
The Legal 500 UK Guide 2015
Louisa is a recognised, leading expert in UK fertility, parenting and family law by Chambers & Partners UK and Legal 500 UK. Louisa has pioneered the practice of fertility, surrogacy, parenting and family law in the UK and has litigated some of the most important UK fertility law cases. Louisa is Head of the Fertility and Parenting Team at Michelmores LLP.
Louisa is a member of the Surrogacy UK Working Group on Surrogacy Law Reform and a Fellow of the American Academy of Assisted Reproductive Technology Attorneys. Louisa is a member of Resolution (the national professional organisation for family lawyers in the UK). Louisa is a regular commentator in the media. She is an influential lawyer at a law and policy making level. Louisa is a highly regarded speaker on fertility, surrogacy, parenting and family law.
Louisa is a specialist contributor on surrogacy law in leading practitioner reference book The International Family Law Practice (Fifth Edition, December 2016). She is a co-author of medical reference book Reducing Risk in Fertility Treatment (First Edition, April 2015). Louisa is a prominent author in magazines and legal journals.
Louisa has a global fertility, family and parenting law practice. Her expertise covers international and UK surrogacy, donor conception, co-parenting, fertility treatment law, posthumous conception, complex children law, LGBT family and parenting law, family and children disputes, divorce, finance and cohabitation law. Louisa is a highly respected family and fertility lawyer, litigator and an expert negotiator.
Louisa has litigated numerous landmark fertility and surrogacy cases in the English High Court including:
- XX v Whittington Hospital NHS Trust  EWHC 2318 (QB)
- In the matter of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008 (Case V)  EWHC 2356 (Fam)
- JP v LP & Ors  EWHC 595 (Fam)
- Re C  EWHC 2408 (Fam)
- Re IJ (Foreign Surrogacy Agreement)  2 FLR 646
- Re L (A Child) (Parental Order Foreign Surrogacy)  1 FLR 1423
- Re X & Y (Foreign Surrogacy)  1 FLR 733
Louisa acted for Andrea and Aaron Heywood in their high profile battle for fertility treatment on the NHS (June 2012) and Donna and Dean Marshall, helping them win a rare legal battle against their PCT for NHS funding for IVF treatment in December 2011. Louisa acted for Melanie and Robert Gladwin, helping them save their embryos from destruction and win changes to embryo storage law in 2009.
Louisa’s pioneering legal practice was Highly Commended at The Law Society Excellence Awards 2013 in the category of Business Development and Innovation (and shortlisted in the category of Innovation in 2012). Her practice was shortlisted at Jordans Family Law Awards 2013 in the Category of Most Innovative Family Lawyer of the Year. Louisa qualified as a solicitor in 2000.
What others say
"Congratulations on the expert help you provided your client. While money is not a replacement, at least now she'll be able to afford the surrogacy process. I love knowing that you're over in the UK changing the laws, and people's perceptions, about what we do. Your client chose her attorney wisely."
A US ART attorney (September 2017)
"Louisa Ghevaert, a leading UK surrogacy lawyer and family law expert".
The Independent (15 March 2015)
"Louisa Ghevaert, the fertility lawyer and leading surrogacy expert".
BBC Radio London Interview with Vanessa Feltz on 'Have Your Say' (9 March 2015)
"Leading expert in UK fertility law".
BBC World Service Have Your Say (20 February 2015)
"Louisa Ghevaert is a recognised expert in surrogacy, fertility and parenting law matters. She has experience in dealing with complex parenting matters, particularly those with an international element".
Chambers & Partners UK 2015
Louisa Ghevaert is ranked as a leading expert in fertility and family law by Chambers and Partners 2014, which says: ‘Sources describe her as “an expert in a very difficult and specialised area of the law - she knows her subject extremely well and gives knowledgeable and sensible advice”.’
Chambers & Partners UK 2014
"leading surrogacy expert".
BBC Radio London interview with Eddie Nestor on Drive Time (August 2014).
“Leading UK fertility and family law specialist”.
Scottish Daily Mail (July 2013)
“Louisa Ghevaert is internationally recognised as a leading expert in UK fertility and parenting law. Her expertise covers international and UK surrogacy, donor conception, co-parenting, embryo storage and testing, children and parenting.”
Fertility Road magazine (2013)
“Leading specialist in fertility and parenting law”.
BBC Radio Berkshire (February 2013)
“Lawyer who specialises in fertility law cases”.
Telegraph (December 2011)
“Leading expert in surrogacy and fertility law”.
The Independent (March 2010)
“Lawyer who specialises in surrogacy cases”.
BBC Radio 4 Woman’s Hour (January 2011)
“Fertility law specialist”.
BBC Radio 4 The Today Programme (January 2011)
- XX v Whittington Hospital NHS Trust , being the first legal case in the UK in which the Court awards damages to a woman for surrogacy following a delay in detecting cancer in smear tests and biopsies. This case marks the cross-section of fertility and medical negligence law. It highlights the importance of fertility, surrogacy and parenting law aspects when medical negligence renders a woman infertile and unable to carry a pregnancy.
- In the Matter of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008 (Case V) 2016 (obtaining a declaration of parentage for a woman in a same-sex relationship for a child conceived through fertility treatment at a UK fertility clinic licensed by the HFEA. The HFEA Consent Form WP was missing from the clinic file).
- JP v LP & Ors 2014, (acting for the intended father in a high profile complex UK surrogacy dispute case where the non-extendable six month deadline for issuing a parental order had expired and where the surrogate born child was made a ward of the English High Court).
- Re C 2013, (obtaining a parental order for intended parents who conceived a child through a Californian (USA) commercial surrogacy arrangement. This case redefines the English Court’s approach to the authorisation of commercial payments in view of the UK public policy restriction against commercial surrogacy).
- Re IJ (Foreign Surrogacy Agreement) 2011, (obtaining a parental order for British parents whose surrogate born child was born stateless and parentless in the Ukraine. The case highlights the legal difficulties associated with foreign surrogacy and the critical importance of expert legal advice).
- Re L (A Child) (Parental Order Foreign Surrogacy) 2010, (obtaining a parental order for British parents who conceived a child with a US surrogate mother. The case marks a legal watershed ruling that the welfare of the child is decisive over the public policy ban on commercial surrogacy in the UK except in the clearest cases of abuse of public policy).
- Re X & Y (Foreign Surrogacy) 2008, (being the first case in UK legal history to test the law for British parents conceiving through an international commercial surrogacy arrangement and which involved complex and groundbreaking legal issues).